Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-02-2012 , 12:38 AM

Need help with an indie film project

First of all, I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this request. Please let me know if there's a more appropriate place to do it. That said...

Greetings all! My name is Rob. I'm an Executive Producer and the Production Designer for an independent film called Atrophy. The film is an action/adventure/sci-fi film with a bit of a steampunk flavor tossed in. We like to say it's sort of like Mad Max meets The Wizard of Oz.

Here's the thing: We shot the film in 2010, and we're deep into post-production right now. One of the locations involves a steampunk-style computer console. The scene was shot on location inside a World War 2 submarine, and we built a full size prop to film on set. Sadly we've discovered since then that it just doesn't work all that well on film. And we weren't able to get permission to come back to the location for reshoots, so building a new prop wasn't feasible.

Then I had the bright idea of building the whole thing in Blender. I figured we could build a whole small set and use it for cutaway shots, and maybe a little bit of green screen work. I bought Blender for Dummies, and modeled the whole thing in a relatively short period of time. Then I started texturing it. Well... I TRIED texturing it. And I'm failing miserably.

This is where I'm asking for help. I've been banging my head against this project for more than four months, and I'm not even close to being happy with the end result. So I need someone who can finish it for me. I need someone who can make this dull gray model look like it fits in the same place as the photo next to it. Is there anyone out there who can handle that?

user added image

I've been looking for someone in the Blender community for several months who can lend a hand, but so far I haven't had any luck. One person told me that Blender could export the model in a format that would work in Maya, and suggested I give this community a try. So here I am. user added image

We can't pay you, unfortunately. We're a small production company without a lot of resources. But we can offer you credit in the film. That also means your name listed on the film's IMDB page when it's complete. If you're in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area we'd also like to invite you to the premiere of the film. That way you can see your handiwork on the silver screen in all its glory!

Just so you don't worry about our follow-through, this is actually the third film Imminent Entertainment has produced. The first was a romantic comedy called Coffee Shop Kings. The second was a documentary called Hobocon. Our fourth film, Boomtowns, is currently in pre-production. That'll be shot on Mackinac Island in the spring of 2013. But Atrophy is by far the biggest and most ambitious project we've undertaken. If you'd like to learn more about the project, take a look at our websites and look up our previous films (Hobocon and Coffee Shop Kings) on IMDB. You can find information about Atrophy at atrophythemovie.com, or visit imminententertainment.com to learn a little bit about our team.

If you're interested in helping us out send an email to robertcouch42(at)gmail(dot)com. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!

Thanks!!

Rob