Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-10-2013 , 10:26 PM

Hard Edges/ Edge Loops

I've been making a cylinder and inserting edge loops, extruding the faces to make something like this

user added image

When I insert edge loops to prevent the edges of the extruded faces from becoming round, I get hard edges.
Even when I click 3 or manually apply smooth, they're shown.
user added image
user added image

How can I make approach what's shown in the reference image, with a nice rounded mesh?

# 2 26-10-2013 , 11:38 AM
This is probably the most common dilemma of poly modeling - trying to cut holes with sharp corners into curved surfaces.

opt 1. Increase the initial density of the cylinder so when you cut in the edges to tighten the corners you do not have narrow polygons relative to the others. If you google you can find examples of "cutting holes with sharp corners into curved surfaces". I'd venture to say that in almost all cases people try to cut openings into a mesh that is far to sparse. Either start with a mesh dense enough to support the opening or create a base mesh with control edges for initial column shape and then subdivide it a couple division levels and then extrude in the holes.

opt 2. you can create separate geometry so you don't have to carry edges through the entire mesh. Try to imagine how that pedestal is really built. It's most likely built from multiple pieces. Unless the camera shot calls for an extreme close up you are not going to tell if its a single piece or a number of pieces pushed into each other.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 26-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.
# 3 26-10-2013 , 03:20 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 26-10-2013 , 08:26 PM

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 26-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.
# 5 26-10-2013 , 10:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looks good Rick, thanks for another great tut.

# 6 27-10-2013 , 11:53 AM
Thanks Stwert.

For completeness here is option 2. This is far easier then option 1 and uses far less polygons. The seems will not really be visible from medium camera distances and even if they are they suggest the way the part would have been actually constructed.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 27-10-2013 , 12:17 PM
Here is a comparison of opt 1 and 2 poly count. As you can see you save quite a bit with opt 2. Now I could reduce the count in opt 1 if I deleted unnecessary edges and spent more time thinking about things, hence opt 1 in its more optimized form takes quite a bit more time to model then opt 2.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 02-11-2013 , 04:11 AM
Thank you so much!! This is very helpful towards the rest of my project!