Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 406 23-01-2012 , 11:49 PM
19 year Veteran
Diagonals you say bullet? I would auto map, sew them together in the UV editor, export to photoshop.

Silverfeather, try using a lighter color to give your fish creatures a bit more depth. Here is a quick example I did using your fish.

Attached Images
# 407 24-01-2012 , 01:11 AM
Lifetime Member
I think we may be overloading this thread....perhaps silver you should make a thread with your 2D questions and only post the finished products in here? THX I will PM you man..

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 408 24-01-2012 , 01:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
I've always thought this thread should be its own forum section. Lots of people do 2D stuff on the side, which is fantastic, and there should be more room for discussion, questions and critique. And I honestly don't think it would detract from a "maya" forum to have a small section for all kinds of 2D. There's plenty of other software stuff going round anyway.

# 409 24-01-2012 , 02:07 AM
19 year Veteran

I've always thought this thread should be its own forum section. Lots of people do 2D stuff on the side, which is fantastic, and there should be more room for discussion, questions and critique. And I honestly don't think it would detract from a "maya" forum to have a small section for all kinds of 2D.

I would be in favor of that also.

Bullet, your right, I think we are overloading this thread a bit.

# 410 14-02-2012 , 03:23 PM

I've always thought this thread should be its own forum section. Lots of people do 2D stuff on the side, which is fantastic, and there should be more room for discussion, questions and critique. And I honestly don't think it would detract from a "maya" forum to have a small section for all kinds of 2D. There's plenty of other software stuff going round anyway.

Me too, I tend to do a bit of 3d and a bit of 2d everyday, but apart from DeviantArt I don't really have anywhere else to discuss or show 2d art.

After spending the morning playing with Dyna and Fibremesh in Z, I decided to attempt drawing a horse, as I haven't ever tried before, here are the results, sketch, and colour version (quick painting in PS), drawing took about 10 minutes, colour about 5.

Attached Thumbnails
# 411 14-02-2012 , 08:58 PM
Lifetime Member
not bad dango.....straight from the brain or replicated??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 412 14-02-2012 , 10:42 PM
Cheers Bullet,
It's just a sketch from a photo, I wish I could draw a horse from memory! lol

# 413 15-02-2012 , 12:00 AM
19 year Veteran
Nice one Dango! keep practicing and sooner or later you will be able to do it from memory.

Here is a dog sketch I did a long time ago. Cant remember exactly when ( guess I should have put a date on it ). It's still not finished believe it or not. It stared out as just a doodle, but as time went by, I kept adding more and more to it till I got burnt out on it. This is probably as far as it's ever going to get, enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 414 15-02-2012 , 04:06 PM
Noober than noob

Diagonals you say bullet? I would auto map, sew them together in the UV editor, export to photoshop.

Silverfeather, try using a lighter color to give your fish creatures a bit more depth. Here is a quick example I did using your fish.

Meh, i'm giving up on 2D, only using it as a reference for later on. They just don't end up exactly they way i want them to be. I want some kind of extremely dark color with some burning color effects (not flames, color burn, something like that).
I really would rather just stick to 3D.

# 415 15-02-2012 , 10:18 PM
19 year Veteran
Don't give it up, or you could possibly regret it some day in the future. Even texturing a 3D model requires you to know how to do a little bit of 2D.

# 416 16-02-2012 , 08:06 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with THX...the more you do NOW and make mistakes etc WILL help you later silver!! as THX has pointed out...to make GOOD 3D you have to have some knowledge of 2D apps and the way you apply them. Give a gift but dont give in. Nice Dog THX!!! pencil or tablet?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 417 16-02-2012 , 08:11 AM
Lifetime Member
Horses arent that hard really dango....once you have done 1 head at least....fairly simple.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 418 16-02-2012 , 05:19 PM
Noober than noob
But doesn't 3D already add depth to the textures you paint? Bump mapping also adds depth. I just don't know how to create depth in 2D and for the alien fish, I wanted some kind of burning colors, not shiny/light.
I wanted them similar to the Betta fish's aspect, which is quite dark.
https://acvarism.ro/wp-content/galler...8191213502.jpg

Not my fish btw.

# 419 16-02-2012 , 10:38 PM
19 year Veteran
@Silverfeather: Texturing doesn't add depth do a 3D model (depth has to be modeled ), and neither does bump mapping. All Bump mapping does is create a surface appearance, which could either look rough or smooth. How rough or smooth it looks you have to control through your materials attributes.

I recommend that before you go any further with 3D, that you watch a video or read a tutorial on the texturing process. There are alot of things I can tell from your post that that you don't fully understand the whole process yet.

@ Bullet1968: The dog was done in pencil, and some of the textures were painted in photoshop cheers mate!

# 420 16-02-2012 , 11:45 PM
Noober than noob

@Silverfeather: Texturing doesn't add depth do a 3D model (depth has to be modeled ), and neither does bump mapping. All Bump mapping does is create a surface appearance, which could either look rough or smooth. How rough or smooth it looks you have to control through your materials attributes.

I recommend that before you go any further with 3D, that you watch a video or read a tutorial on the texturing process. There are alot of things I can tell from your post that that you don't fully understand the whole process yet.

@ Bullet1968: The dog was done in pencil, and some of the textures were painted in photoshop cheers mate!

That's because I haven't reached that point yet. Maybe I am confusing depth with something else. What I understand by depth is 3D appearance.