Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 76 29-04-2007 , 04:00 PM
The hair's looking too curly. I'm not sure how easy that'll be to correct because I've never used unlimited, but you're still doing great! KUTGW

Sparticus

Yes, you are taking criticism very nicely. Don't get discouraged! Like was stated... Keep on truckin!

Expect to excell...

Last edited by wasatch5_sparticus; 01-05-2007 at 06:59 PM.
# 77 30-04-2007 , 11:11 AM
I agree with what Perfecto's stated twice on this thread, that you are really taking people comments well (most of 'em being Criticisms!)
I love the Yoda you're working on.
Keep on truckin,
Chris

# 78 01-05-2007 , 11:55 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
thanks to the both of you(and everybody else off course) for comments and compliments
and wasatch i'm not a veteran at unlimited either i'm just winging ituser added image

# 79 02-05-2007 , 04:54 AM
You've done well with Yoda, but maybe you should try Darth Vader? user added image
Chris

# 80 04-05-2007 , 09:56 AM
maybe i willuser added image

# 81 05-05-2007 , 11:11 AM
i've a few questions ;
-when i render the lightsaber (with renderlayers)with the hardware renderer it says the videocard(radeon 1950xtx 512mb gddr4) cannot handle a resolution higher than 512*384(or something like this) i want to render at full 1024 is there a workaround for this or is there another renderer that can render out particles.
-is there a way to delete the history without losing the blendshapes(i've tried optimize scene size, delete non deformer history, delete unused nodes),because i have a lot of tweaks and polymerges going on in the scene.
( i made the blendshapes first and then attached the head to the body again, otherwise i'm getting this harsh line around the neck area when i smooth the model.)
- if i put a slider in the blendshape window all the way up my geometry explodes, i know it has something to do with the deformationorder, but somehow i can't move the blendshape to the top not even a couple of rows.
- i used rigid binding for yoda because smoothbinding made him like a rubber chicken, even when i painted the weights ,deformation sucked.
however rigidbinding makes it like cardboard, so if anyone knows a bit more about binding....advice is most welcome

i've attached 2 pictures of yoda in fighting stance one with particles and the other without
:angery:

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 05-05-2007 , 11:12 AM
without particles:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 83 05-05-2007 , 04:19 PM
I think i have the hair the right way now:attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 84 05-05-2007 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
can we see a close up on the face now that you have the hair redone ? also can you post a wi re of the face ? I am wondering how you did the hair ..I am bad at it

# 85 05-05-2007 , 05:00 PM
close up

Attached Thumbnails
# 86 05-05-2007 , 05:02 PM
and a wireframe... coming up

Attached Thumbnails
# 87 05-05-2007 , 05:45 PM
Subscriber
thank you very much ..that is awesome ....i just cant see how you did the hair ..wire looks good

# 88 06-05-2007 , 02:43 AM
This is looking incredible Mastone. Can't wait to see him fully clothed.

# 89 06-05-2007 , 12:44 PM
leonlabyk ;can´t wait either, i have to wise up on cloth knowledge first however
mmoore5553:I´m not a maya unlimited expert so if you want to learn this aspect you should buy a book and/or dvd that covers this subject(learning maya series are quite good in explaining basic workings of unlimited.
I simply made a polygon sphere deleted parts of the sphere i didn´t need and applied hair to the remaining parts of the sphere and fiddled around with the settings until i was satisfied or just fed up with it i can assure you it was more of the latter:p good luck anyways

# 90 07-05-2007 , 01:26 AM
Hey Man, good work so far, I've been doing quite a bit of binding at the moment, you are best off with a smooth bind and then using the componant editor to get rid of any nasty little attachments from the bind (say select the left legs verts, go into the smooth skin section in the editor and then see if they are attached to any strange areas like the left fingers, right legs etc etc)

When i'm paintin the weights I set up a simple animation (of say just the knee rotating) and then paint them to get a nice deformation using the timeline to scrub through, then delete the animation, its not an fast or an easy task to paint weights so expect it to take a whille.

Also I would suggest that you paint the weights on the low poly model then use a wrap deformer to apply the low poly to the high poly model, this way you can animate with the low poly (as it will be faster) then hide the low poly geo for rendering

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle