View Poll Results: apple mac book pro or an imac ?
apple mac book pro 6 85.71%
apple imac 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-01-2007 , 04:21 PM

maya on a lap top? or desktop?

# 2 20-01-2007 , 04:26 PM
im trying to find out if a macbook perform slower than desktops due to ventilation in them ?

# 3 20-01-2007 , 04:27 PM
also if you got similar spec mac book and imac

which one would out perform the other?

# 4 20-01-2007 , 04:33 PM
Well the laptop will be a bit slower, especially the specs that you posted, since the laptop has less RAM, slower CPU etc.....

Think that concludes your poll.

If your getting a laptop you should think why you would wanta laptop, do you need to have your work portable, ie form uni to home and not using uni machines etc...

I use a dell XPS laptop as its got the power to use maya with ease and I can take my projects to and from uni as well as on site. But thats cos its suited what i'm doing as I need the portability. If your just using it as a static worksattion and you dont need the space get a desktop, more upgradable etc etc...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 20-01-2007 , 04:36 PM
just wondering have you ever had a mac before, if you have what do you think of the two platforms xp and mac OS which one would maya be more stable on?

# 6 20-01-2007 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
I've used macs in the past (used to be Graphic Designer) and I honestly don't know why anyone would want one. Macs in the 3d industry certainly aren't that common, nor is XP. If you want the best stability, and performance, you want to be getting yourself some Linux power. As for the poll, I agree with whats been said - surely if you NEED to be portable then you get a laptop, if not then honestly don't bother - go desktop.

# 7 20-01-2007 , 04:52 PM
I used to work for apple, prior to the bootcamp, I would resommend windows, altough mac is nicer,(as they always seemed to crash when you gave them something to chew on).

Now i'd still go for windows but under bootcamp I would say a mac version of maya will run faster using Osx compared to a windows version of maya running under bootcamp (otherwise apple would have shot themselves in the foot) Maya 8.5 I think has "true" mac coding for intel processors (dunno what the difference is as apple PC's have tunrned into true pc's now)

# 8 20-01-2007 , 04:54 PM
thanks petrol for some honesty there, iv not heard of a mac designer/user that woudln't reccomend a mac, probably because all the mac mags i read have narrowed opinions and don't really put pcs in a good light.

i have thought about linux as an option but i have heard some good reports like you could leave you pc on for months with out having to restart, but i have also heard that there is alot of pissing about with the linux OS as well - and i don't have much time to mess about with the OS i just wanna get on and do some animating, is all mucking around( if any) worth it?

# 9 20-01-2007 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
For years the Mac for me was just an object of pure frustration. Gfx designers / Illustrators probably like them because out of the box, they're easy to use and look pretty. In reality though, they're the less stable than a man with one leg and a small foot.

A decent setup on a PC is more stable, more compatible, more upgradable, and generally they're a bit cheaper. I haven't installed Linux myself so I can't comment on any difficulties there, I don't even have it at home yet. My 3d training centre uses it though, and they say probably about 95% of top studios use it. That's reason enough for me to look into getting it at home too, but your requirements might be different. For example Linux isn't as compatible with games and other things.

# 10 20-01-2007 , 05:20 PM
to petrol "In reality though, they're the less stable than a man with one leg and a small foot."

blimy mate doesn't sound like you had a good time with them most mac users i have encountered love them to bits and probably masterbate over them at night.

did you ever run maya on a mac how did you find it compared with windows

to gster123

how come you would go for windows under bootcamp is it more stable??? wouldn't it be as stable as running windows on a pc or am i just being stupid here?

# 11 20-01-2007 , 05:34 PM

Originally posted by stickyhead
to gster123

how come you would go for windows under bootcamp is it more stable??? wouldn't it be as stable as running windows on a pc or am i just being stupid here?

Damm punctuation, what I wanted to say was

"Now, i'd still go for windows, but under bootcamp I would say a mac version of maya will run faster using Osx"

What I was saying was that I would still keep with windows, not jump to mac, unless theres a nice stability to it.

see what you mean though, sounded daft!

# 12 21-01-2007 , 11:07 AM
stickyhead > 'i have thought about linux as an option but i have heard some good reports like you could leave you pc on for months with out having to restart, but i have also heard that there is alot of pissing about with the linux OS as well - and i don't have much time to mess about with the OS i just wanna get on and do some animating, is all mucking around( if any) worth it?'

How difficult installing and using Linux depends on which distribution (Red Hat, Ubuntu, ect) and what edition (home, enterprise, ect) it is. I've heard that Ubuntu is really easy to use and is not too different to Windows or OSX.

# 13 21-01-2007 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
Nope - never ran maya on the mac. Although I'm pretty sure if i tried, the mac would say 'no'. Or it would randomly say 'It's not my fault'. Or something.

Seriously, yes i had a pretty bad time with them. In our office we actually had a huge pinboard of all the 'Error messages' we'd have thrown at us from our macs, and it was pretty damn funny how undescriptive they were. It made getting rid of the errors nigh on impossible.

Like I say most designers kiss their ass usually just because they look nice in the office, and as a general rule Designers aren't technical people. They spend all day looking in the mirror and fluffing their hair, they need their computers to be simplistic things. Theres absolutely NO advantage of using Quark / Photoshop / Illustrator on a mac as opposed to a PC in my eyes.

# 14 09-04-2007 , 12:08 PM
I teach Graphic Design and use Mac G5's. If you ever want to find out how to crash a Mac, give it to a noob. Also, gotta love that NO BUTTON mouse. Oops! I'm sorry, actually, the whole mouse is a button. Don't you just love it when you press just too hard and don't really mean to? IF IT HAD BUTTONS ON IT IT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM!!!!

Oh, and the fact that when you close a program it doesn't actually close it, it just hides it in the dock to take up valuable memory resources so that everything else you do only gets slower by the second because evey other thing you had open and thought you closed isn't actually closed because it's still running in the background unnoticed until you need to open a file that won't open or takes about an hour to open because all of the memory is taken up by open programs running in the background taking up valuable resources because when you clicked on the close button you were stupid enough to believe that is actually what it would do!

Jeez, I hope Steve Jobs doesn't read this or my chances of working at PIXAR are through!

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 15 09-04-2007 , 01:22 PM
hahaha thanks dave! i was about to comment on how all during school i was forced to work on macs... they're pretty stable until you find a way to screw things up, and instead of a simple 'ctrl+shift+esc' to bring up a task manager to kill whatever program is being stupid, you get this wonderful window that spits out gibberish... that you can't try to fix, because afterwards it just restarts the mac. lame.

i actually felt lucky because the maya labs at school were all actually SGI computers running off of unix... which was still really annoying, but you could at least tell what was causing the problem before losing all your data and restarting your network render... so when it all came back up you could get rid of the problem and try net-rendering again, and since they were all SGI computers they at least would screw up in the same way... the macs would choke on different things each time. barf.

so technically my vote would have to be... nothing. i'm not gonna choose an apple either way. ick.

Accept no substitutions.