Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-02-2008 , 04:29 AM
Subscriber

problems with smoothing

im getting some weird results.., very disappointing results actually.., with smoothing.., mayas new preview smooth.., which i would never use on my actual model and only on duplicates because it seems to distort the geometry.., does NOT give the same smooth results as the smooth command.., so in a way preview is only what it suggests.., a preview and not a final render.., a guestimate i would say

anyway.., im getting such tings happening as verts that seem to go the other way.., or just sort of shoot off somewhere.., i understand that the geometry must have similar construction.., with say a door and a door frame (weird example for smoothing but thats all that comes to mind atm) for them to butt up together., but whats these verts flying everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 07-02-2008 , 07:36 AM
Ive not had a problem using the smooth preview, and tbh ive used it quite a bit on my main model as a quick preview for hard edges (and I've never used it on a duplicate as ive not noticed it making any changed to the underlying mesh it if go to it then back).

What does your non smoothed mesh look like as it's usualy down to the underlying mesh when theres problems.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 07-02-2008 at 07:51 AM.
# 3 07-02-2008 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
i kind of guessed that.., thats why the picture..., what am i doing wrong? what would cause this problem user added image

Steve.., im glad its not you user added image but this problem/technique..?? is a mystery to me.., i seem to prefer nurbs, bevels and sub d.., but wish i had the key to this smooth situation??

# 4 07-02-2008 , 10:54 AM
If you posted another image, from a different angle it would help. It's hard to see at the moment what is wrong, could be an undeleted vert on an edge, or two overlapping edges.

cheers

gubar

# 5 07-02-2008 , 11:23 AM

Originally posted by mirek03
i kind of guessed that.., thats why the picture..., what am i doing wrong? what would cause this problem user added image

It's hard to teel without having the non smoothed picture, post that up.

# 6 07-02-2008 , 01:26 PM
Jr.Who
I get this problem when smoothing, not using the smooth preview. Is there a reason you have 2 smooth items in the history anyway?

When I get this with a smooth, I just go into the options of the smooth history and turn off Keep Border.

# 7 07-02-2008 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
i tried the border eges option and it didnt work for me.., it doesnt look as bad as it did.., before the doors were a shocker but i must have done something to fix them?? i remember straighting out the side panel??

here you can see some verts stayed inside.., and others went outside. this is taken .., inside looking out..,

thanks guys, just woke.., gotta have coffee..,

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 08-02-2008 , 05:45 AM
Is that the unsmoothed model of the smoothed model?

# 9 08-02-2008 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
smoothed

here is the same unsmoothed

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 08-02-2008 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
here is a smoothed version of the doorway???

in desperation.., due to the weirdness of my computers behavior.., im duplicating the perspective camera.., making some basic settings and calling it 'shot cam'.., someone once said the default cameras have 'issues' and its a good habit to get into using 'user' cameras.., especially in a pipline where it might end up in anothers computer, causing naming issues.., but that another story

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 08-02-2008 , 06:29 AM
It looks like theres some verts that are not merged together in the "archway", kinda like non manifold verts forn an extrude, giving the strange added Geo in the smoothed mesh.

I would have a look into that selecting the verts and merging justto see if it gets rid of them.

# 12 08-02-2008 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
i noticed something in a menu 'clean up'.., what does that do

as far as verts.., i think i merged them all at least 10 times trying to fix this nut ill try again user added image

but its tragic and is turning me off this model altogether?? work for hours then work fixing the work ive done (already with great care.., sheeesh.., glad im going to CGI school.., today is first day..,
so ill not be a lone modeler anymore,
i have been stuck on this problem for days instead of forging ahead making little wheels and such..,
(sung to the blues tune..(,' ive been rollin' and tumblin') by Muddy Waters.)

thanks mate

any other ideas.., but maybe the teacher at school will know also

Muser added image

Last edited by mirek03; 08-02-2008 at 05:23 PM.
# 13 08-02-2008 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
another example of smoothing.., ?? this should be the easy part??? (the edges of the light were rounder before the smooth???.., it was a sphere??)

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 08-02-2008 , 05:36 PM
Jr.Who
Hey mirek, can you send me the scene?

# 15 09-02-2008 , 03:57 AM
Subscriber
sure.., here it comes user added image

this light problem might be the border edge thing you mentioned but check the doors and windows.., the side windows are better since i put in some walls in side the car.., extruded the doors in.., in other words.

Last edited by mirek03; 09-02-2008 at 04:05 AM.