Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-07-2003 , 01:05 PM

Polygons Question (Extrude option)

Hello all!! I have been working in MAYA for a while now but I have run across a few strange things that I can't explain.

When I create a polygon cylinder with 40 subdivisions in perspective view and rotate the X at 90 degrees and have 4 header subdivisions then right click and select faces (to select the faces on the cap to extrude), I choose to keep the faces together, which it does, but AFTER the extrusion, the cap extrusion looks BLOCKY. Does any one have any idea what I am referring to?

If not, I will post some pics later today.

I asked Mike McKinley last night and he had me harden my edges under Edit Polygons > Normals > Soften/Harden Edges (I think that is the option) and it dd help a bit but I would like to know what it could possibly be caused by. Any ideas?

-SuperDave71user added image

Attached Images

"Yeah I want my Cheezy Poofs!"
# 2 29-07-2003 , 01:23 PM
yeah post some pics so we can see exactly what you mean

ALan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 29-07-2003 , 02:01 PM
The Maya Mountain
It's not something that is wrong. The Soften/Harden Edges command is there for this very reason.

# 4 29-07-2003 , 03:32 PM
OK Mike...

I really appreciate your help. Thank you as always my friend....

-SuperDave71user added image

"Yeah I want my Cheezy Poofs!"