Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 196 01-03-2006 , 08:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Oh dont worry about the spamming its my thread and its anatomy class 24/7...

Interesting points, all of them but the knee comment is irrelevant as that area is entirely different in the image sitting down, the skin is stretched, standing up the skin is more relaxed and therefore form is different above the shin

By looking at the top right image of the 'legs' picture the knees are very boxy though the legs are skinny.The knees from the lower row in the centre(starry skirt) are also boxy but the leg build is different.

Also, to tell me to take down the sizes of body parts is a ridiculous comment in itself, you are telling me the breasts are to big as the hips and the calves, yet here you present me with a whole range of different shaped sizes of legs and knees and then profess to me how wrong I am, that is a bit contradictory in terms of what you have said.

Dont get me wrong I appreciate all comments good or bad, otherwise I wouldnt be here today doing what I do and constantly striving to go forward and be better but give me something a bit more solid to back up your comments otherwise Im just gonna see it as your own opinion/preferences as to what you want to see. I cant second guess an audience as I'll end up going round in circles and I certainly cant second guess a photograph or my wifes body as they are here in front of me, and I cant argue with either of those last two...

Update later

Jay

# 197 01-03-2006 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
It's good to have many sources of information, it's up to your to filter out the stuff you want to listen to.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 198 01-03-2006 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
ah come guys this started out as a good fun thread lets not go too Deep...
Keep it going Jay!
P.s wheres those wires!!...............LoLuser added image

# 199 01-03-2006 , 10:25 PM
Magicsy: Dude I forgot,

On the way now!!

Falott: Yeah misunderstanding, but Im always right LOLuser added image

Jay

# 200 01-03-2006 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
checked your blog, Great little gun on the blog site; for the novel?? How long to make? I'm not computer savy as such, I only use it for editing and stuff. Words like 'wikkie' and 'blog' i have only recently come in contact with because I'll be writting film reviews for 'heroic. .com' and people keep saying them as if I should know what they mean???

words like 'graphic novel'..? I can only imagine. Man you put a lot of hours into these things. Lost? Show you the way? I'm drifting on the waves too. As Lau Tzu said; 'Learning is daily addition, to know yourself is daily subtraction.' (sorry guys, I know it's a little deep fo this time of the day but I can't help it??'

with the woman model, are you going to put small spot lights onto her to highlight areas such as the eyes ,etc, or do you paint them in? Maybe that is something you consider on the fly or do you plan the model up front.

questions questions questons; One more.., did you use an image plan, is that standard pricedure. its like drawing 2D with a graph.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 201 02-03-2006 , 08:16 AM

Yeah misunderstanding, but Im always right LOL user added image

you was just pissed of with me cause I called your wifes knee boxy, hehe! I appologize for that.

user added image

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 202 02-03-2006 , 08:24 AM
Mirek: Yeah for the novel, but thats all Photoshop at the moment I still have to make it in Maya, Im also working on a rifle or two as well. I like to do a bit of 2d work, as well as 3d as it keeps me in check, in the way of producing forms on objects be them organic or hardsurface. That particular piece took about 5 minutes to sketch then around 1hr- 1.5hrs on and off to get coloured and shaded to my liking in PS.

As for the eyes on the girl /woman model, I think you are barking up the wrong tree in terms of hi lites in the eyes. I usually model two parts of the eye, one inner thats slightly flattened off and mapped with pupil and iris's etc, complete with bump and diffuse as well. The other part is a more bulbous sphere toward the front to emulate the lens. This has a slight reflection map on and will be almost 100% transparent, but it will have a very hi specular color setting, something like H:0 S:0 V:2 and the eccentricity will be quite low in the sharpness value, basically creating a very hi gloss/wetness. Hope this helps

Falott: Forget it, no probs, on with the job in hand now...

Jay:bandit:

# 203 02-03-2006 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber
barking up the wrong tree indeed. My background in 2D that was any sort of serious attempt (4 years) was graphite and so careful attention was needed for shading, ect. Your method actually emulates a real eye and, did it help?? yeah, very much. the approach is completely different.

The spotlights??? yes, completely impractical. when I first began 3D I read a tut in one of the mags and completely misunderstood it. I can see that now, especially as I have the mag sitting in front of me ready to reference it and finding nothing that says anything about lighting the eyes to create high lights with spot lights?? My god, it's like what has been said, often we only see only what fits into our preconceptions. Doesn't read at all like when I first read it??

# 204 02-03-2006 , 11:19 PM
Hey Mirek

Graphite huh? Very cool, a good way to learn forms thats for sure.

Preconceptions, yep they suck big time after a while as nothing is what it seems.

There are various ways to create eyes using cheats with textures, I think www.antropus.com has one its very cool and very life like, but it falsifys the hilites but never the less its effective. I just checked the link theres alot more to his site now as Ive not been there for about 2 years, its very cool now, more of a blog, he still has his tutes, I didnt realise he had an eye modelling one there, so take advantage of that its very similar to what I do with mine bar a few changes.

Cheers
Jay

# 205 02-03-2006 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
thanks, I'll check it. Seems I have a whole lot more to learn via photoshop. Can you piont me in the direction of glossary of computer terms, seems there's a whole language under the bpnnet of evry computer and 3D app.

here's some of my work when i did it, some 20 years ago Unfortunately you will have to endure my smiling dial. (I haven't changed a bit??)

Attached Images

# 206 03-03-2006 , 09:42 PM
Stage one and two complete (base model and uvs) onto stage 3 (refinement)...Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 207 03-03-2006 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
how did you start this, is it one primitive?? how long so far? (on and off), it has great proportion. did you use an image plain or all by eye. all the input from the other guys has helped i think, making you look and question, even if you were correct to start with it is good to look at it from a different gaze.

incredible.., reminds me of life drawing with real models, but with a slant, you block the whole model/person.

Last edited by mirek03; 03-03-2006 at 11:18 PM.
# 208 03-03-2006 , 11:45 PM
Hey Mirek

Yeah it was a poly cube when it was born LOL. Started in Feb, and its been on and off as I ve been on other jobs freelance wise as well as full time

I've used image planes for the neck and head only would you believe the rest has been done with the aid of my wife and a selection of pics of a couple of girls.

Yeah as far as listening/reading what other guys have said I listen and I dont. If I feel its a solid comment then I'll follow it up, a prime example is that of Tick very early on about the square jaw, despite the fact people have them it turned out better with a softer rounded face and also Falotts comment on the hips, mine were too rounded and one curve so I took it down a little and added a smaller second one to the thigh, its subtle.

Just finishing clavicles now smoothing off a little more

Cheers for your questions

Jay

# 209 03-03-2006 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
your wife, yea, that's why I mentioned life drawing, I had an instinct this was a little more than image plains, it has a very 'life' like feel. reminds me of life drawing in 2D. Man you can see you have got past the 'this is what I see, I think' to ' this is what is there' it really looks like that, it looks so human, not some dolly picture of the perfect (and starved) super model, fantastic.

art and technology meet here. incredible.

# 210 03-03-2006 , 11:57 PM
Thank you, most sincerely...

Jay