Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 166 01-11-2007 , 07:47 AM
Subscriber
Hello folks,

sorry it's been a while but it's been a busy time. Anyway, I've blown the dust from my project files and am going to knuckle down and get myself back on track as I've fallen a little behind schedule.... oops!

I've had a bit of a play around with the intro and have rendered it out to give myself a better idea of how it looks and what needs doing to it.

CLICK THIS (5Meg) to watch what I have so far.

Any crit would be totally apppreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 167 01-11-2007 , 08:43 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hey Mat,

Looks pretty sweet, man.
I would only make the wings flap faster, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
Great work :bow:

# 168 01-11-2007 , 08:52 AM
Looks really nice, been keeping an eye on it. Matt, I'm having some trouble getting my bump maps to work, using a layered shader for it. Would you mind if I pm you the details? I see earlier in the thread that you've been using them, in much the same way that I am trying too.

cheers,

gubar.

# 169 01-11-2007 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
Cheers guys,

and no worries Gubar.

Mat.

# 170 01-11-2007 , 09:14 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I don't think you need a layered shader for a bump map

# 171 01-11-2007 , 06:23 PM
progressing nicely mat user added image

I think you could bank the moth a lot more on the extreme camera moves and it would give it more immediacy and a closer sense of action.
Also the wing flapping might change as the height of the flight changes (less to glide down and lots more when climbing upwards)
If you want I could possibly look at making a little script to modify the wing flapping speed based on the vertical position? Might automate a bit of the keyframing for you user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 172 02-11-2007 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
Cheers Si,

that's a really generous offer. At the moment the flap cycle is just 3 keys, up, down and back up again, over 4 frames. The curve is set to infinite cycle so there's no scope for alteration. I'd be interested to see how altering the flap cycle depending on the moths movement would work. E-mail me if you have time to make a little script.

I'll have a play about with the moths banking action today.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 173 02-11-2007 , 09:05 AM
Hi Mat,

I was playing around with the wing flapping and velocity using my own methods and got stuck. After a break I had a quick look around online and stumbled across this little tutorial which looks like it would do the job for you user added image

https://www.talino.org/tutorials/exp1/

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 174 02-11-2007 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber
That's pretty neat Si, Cheers.

I rekon that it would be an easy enough step from the tutorial to control the speed of the flap with the angle of the moth and as the angle is already keyed the speed would be keyed also.

I'm currently rendering out another test run of the intro, I'll look into expression possibilities when it's done.

Cheers again,

Mat.

# 175 02-11-2007 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
your web site is looking very nice.., great web desighn work

Muser added image

ill check this model when i get back from uni.., last movie last day of movies.., one i did will be on TV this Sat. (well 4 min of it.., doco)

saw the tuts on your site, one looking very familiar.., 3 point lights, which i still have amongst the tuts I have.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 176 02-11-2007 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Ahhh, good on ya Mirek, that one was made for you!

I've done a bit of adjustment today, see and compare with the previous....

HERE (about 5Meg)

So you're done with uni now? Mail me with your 4 minutes, I haven't got a TV these days and I'm a few miles from Oz on Saturday (or any other day for that matter) to watch it!! I'd be pleased to see it.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 177 02-11-2007 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
what i do is squash a few of these ten minute docos and dramas ive done in Sorenson and send them over to you. i think you will gt a giggle and find some interest. the 4 minutes is actually a teaser for a 16 minute doco i just finished.., which the lecturers tell me has th best natural history sound design to ever come out of my uni.., cool eh user added image

see my head grow user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 178 06-11-2007 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
Hello again folks,

I've been beavering away at this and am now pretty much ready to start the main portion of the animation (WOO-HOO!).

I've made another update on the intro....

HERE (about 5Meg)

All I've really done is add the DOF, it may seem like I've overdone it but I'm going to be putting the titles over the animation so I think it should be OK. I'm going to have to re-render the last few frames as I forgot to make DEATH visible for them, D'oh!

Attached is a still from the shot it will cut to after the moth splat, DEATH knotches off another on the dead side, the camera pans to head height and death walks down the ward.

Loads to do, so little time!

Cheers for your thoughts,

Mat.

edit: that would be neat Mirek, cheers and well done for getting that accolade!

Attached Thumbnails
# 179 06-11-2007 , 11:31 PM
Looks good Mat

With the titles on the screen it will work really well IMHO.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 180 07-11-2007 , 04:34 AM
Sweet intro Mat! user added image

It has a nice roller coaster feel (well, on my stomach anyway user added image )

Just watched it again and had a small thought - would it be "too much" to have ya moth do a full 360 degreee roll as he passes through the hospital gates?

KUTGW
Dave.

PS: I always knew Death was left handed!!

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios