Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 121 16-03-2011 , 02:40 AM
Cheers,

Yeah the vignette is prob a bit overkill especially for a wip image. I should really keep this stuff crisp and simple though so people can see the overall model and point out any probs or mistakes.

All of this is going to be used to create a short animation about 3-5 mins in length.

The sky diver is just stuck in a pose and rendered out, was just done as a test. The final v will have dynamic cloth which one of our workmates is setting up in cinema as the cloth simulator is pretty epic. The final renders should look a lot better though as it has no motion at the moment and does look way to baggy and static.

Cheers,

Leon

# 122 17-03-2011 , 12:03 PM
Some more weapons I am working on. The sig is done and I am currently working on the browning 50 cal also need to work on the rocket for the rpg some more. Will try and get some wires up later once I have finished the modeling on the 50 cal.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 123 17-03-2011 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
Please..Get some sleep!!

No no dont!

free memory low..exception thrown
# 124 17-03-2011 , 06:17 PM
The thin red line

# 125 19-03-2011 , 05:47 PM
The Bowning is pretty much done with just a few bit to add and some tweaks. The M-82 is very low at the moment but think it might work out fine with some good texturing as it is not the most detailed weapon.

Cheers for the ref daverave it was a great help. Could probably still use some work on the proportions but my eyes are a bit tired now so am gonna take Paldav up on that sleep. Will get wires up for this stuff tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words it is much appreciated.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 126 07-04-2011 , 02:06 AM
got the sig set up. Browning is now uvd so am going to start work on the textures today. The blackhawk is uvd and one of my workmates has textured both the rotors. He Hopes to have it finished around the end of next week and will then upload some renders.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 127 14-04-2011 , 04:37 PM
Been working on skin set ups but am thinking maya and sss for rendering is going to be a bag of worms. Am currently trying to use cinema4d with vray and the sss2 shader as I think we will have much faster render times and there will not be as many issues with the lighting as we will face in maya. Not to mention the fact I am able to get much better results for short hair systems with cinema than what I get in Maya. I just wish I new maya better but fortunately the guy I work with knows cinema inside out.

user added image

# 128 14-04-2011 , 08:57 PM
The thin red line
Hi Leon
Not sure that I like the hair might need thinning out a bit or it could be that its not casting a shadow. The lips look great..........dave

# 129 14-04-2011 , 09:10 PM
The Nurb Herd
the character is a bit dark, its a shame your not trying sss in mental ray. its pretty straight forward tbh.
i think for the gun some dirt and texture variation would make it look a lot better.

# 130 14-04-2011 , 09:27 PM
The thin red line
Sorry Leon
I am not trying to put the boot in but looking at the gun you have the metal texture going the same way I think in the real world guns are polished in different direction what is cheapest for the manufacturer, and may be some bump on the corser polish......dave

Last edited by daverave; 14-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.
# 131 15-04-2011 , 03:09 AM
Cheers guys,

Think you are right Dave and will try and adjust it when I get a chance, is any easy fix as I just need to adjust the direction on that layer. I will upload a cinema render once I get the skin working out as I have been able to get the hair looking so much better already having run a few tests.

Cheers Honestdom, I will try and break up the texture some more, we are not wanting to much dirt etc as we wanted to keep the weapons looking relatively new. I think the texture could do with some more breaking up though and appreciate your thoughts. With regards to the skin I find it easy to set stuff up for single frames but find it to be a nightmare when it comes to using a character in a scene. For instance say I have a character sitting in a black hawk with all of the lights set up I will need to set the skin up for this shot, he then repels down a rope and the shot is lit from the sun so I need to re set up again. Also it is sometimes the case that the texture needs to be changed for different lighting and so I think it will cause problems. The other possibility is rendering everything in zbrush as you can now import mdd's although I would need to look into importing camera animation. Advantage of this would be the fast render times but the hair would be an issue.
Mainly just doing some research to find a solid method to get what we want done in a timely manner while still getting solid results. I know it can all be done in maya but know it is a lot of work and it would all fall on me as I am the only one who uses it. Advantage of using cinema would be it is very easy to learn + I would then have someone else help who knows it inside out.
Hopefully we will have a solid approach to this by the end of next week.

Cheers,

Leon

# 132 21-04-2011 , 01:00 PM
My work mate is busy with setting up the skin so I have come back to finish up this beast. I will add all of the bolts and rivets as a displacement map once I get all of the textures finished up on the exterior. All the textures are very flat at the moment as there is just a color map on a lambert shader.
I really appreciate the comments and your criticism on this guys and will do my best to make adjustments and improvements in the suggested areas. It has all been noted and time provided I will go back to make improvements. I am likely to go back and re work on the hummer 1st as I feel it still looks very weak and will get some more ref images at work to try and improve things. I then need to add texture details to the chinook before then looking over weapons and finalizing character textures.

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 133 21-04-2011 , 05:07 PM
The thin red line
Thats Looking sweet Leon...........dave

Edit:I think the texture on the hummer was not write

Last edited by daverave; 21-04-2011 at 10:33 PM.
# 134 22-04-2011 , 05:20 AM
Subscriber
Beutifull ! just a few more scratches please.

free memory low..exception thrown
# 135 22-04-2011 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
Looking good Leon....a few decals and insignias wouldn't go amiss? Any thoughts on what type of shader you will end up using? Blinn, mia mat etc? Spec? Reflection?

I think the matte finish of the lambert looks quite good. When I made that Hind helicopter, I was making it thinking, 'well, it's made of metal so I guess it needs a kind of specular material', but unless these choppers are stright out of the factory, they're not really reflective or shiny, are they? When I see helicopters like this I think of 70's/80's vietnam war movies. When I think of the helicopters in them I never think of them as being very shiny.

Last edited by ben hobden; 22-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.