Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-10-2003 , 07:12 PM

Cloth & Fringes

Cloth & Fringes
Have a couple of trousers(cloth) coming down nicely but I wonder if U guys now (which I am certain of) a good way to attach fringes at the end of the trousers.
Around 80-100 fringes at each leg. To move with the inherit motion of the cloth.
You know popular at the seventies.
Greatful for all possible advice.

So the fringes has to be affected by the cloth movement and gravity.
Thought about instance geometry on a curve emitting particles...but what do I know....?!

*-*lud

ludde3d@hotmail.com

# 2 06-10-2003 , 04:52 PM
First, I'm NO cloth expert, but here are a few ideas off my head:

-Can't Maya take modeled geometry, (i.e. pants WITH fringes already on them) and convert that to a cloth object?

-If not, have you tried using a lattice to "bind" the fringes to the pantlegs?

...sry.. wish I had more ideas for ya m8, but cloth isn't my forte' at the momentuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 06-10-2003 , 04:56 PM
You should be able to attach the fingers to the cloth using mesh constraint in the cloth option menu set...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 07-10-2003 , 06:48 AM
I am using Syflex, by the way....

And my idea was to keep the geometry down as to as little as possible....as always...using about 200 geom. pieces just for the fringes...and use cloth for what I must due to rendering time.

I cannot use even instances...(can I?!)

Thanx folks
I ty whats been suggested
I am greatful.....

*-*ludwig

# 5 07-10-2003 , 01:11 PM
I haven't played with syflex yet

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb