Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-04-2003 , 05:47 AM
Subscriber

weird poly problem

the normals are SCREWED UP. Soften or average doesn't work. Any ideas!? Its fine after i smooth it BTW.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 2 21-04-2003 , 05:51 AM
Hello, Vectorman

Pick the offending faces and:
  • Edit Polygons > Normals > Reverse []
Hope this fixes your problem,

# 3 21-04-2003 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
Wow that was quick post thanx. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be it.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 4 21-04-2003 , 06:04 AM
Set the normals to face (Normals > Set to Face), then average them. If that doesn't work, reverse them, reverse them again, then average.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 21-04-2003 , 06:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
Try Edit Polygons > Normals > Conform.

# 6 21-04-2003 , 06:08 AM
Subscriber
Thanx Danny that was it. It might have been a combination tho, cause Adl's suggestion did help but it still wasn't right. Thanx guys. And thanx for you're speed!!! Much appreciated when i'm in a tourny.

# 7 21-04-2003 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
Conform didn't work the first time either. ALL set now tho thanx. Will post some updates on the critter in the tournament forum.

Last edited by Vectorman; 21-04-2003 at 06:44 AM.