Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-06-2003 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber

plugin export question

Hello Everyone,

I have looked through this forum to locate a section that I can post a question about plugin export but I can't seemed to find anything that is close therefore I thought I drop this question at the top.

If I'm in the wrong area please let me know and I will repost the question otherwise here is the question.

I downloaded ActorX plugin which allow me to export my Maya model to a format that then can be imported from Unreal Tournament Editor. The link is https://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content..._Export_Tools.

I have put the .mll file in Maya's \bin\plug-ins folder and also I checked 'loaded' and 'auto load'. I restarted Maya but then this is where I'm lost on what to do next.

What do I need to do to export my model..using the ActorXTool.mll?

Can you guys help?

Thanks

TC

# 2 26-06-2003 , 10:25 AM
Wild guess: File -> Export (option box) and choose the correct export format...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 26-06-2003 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber
no it is not file -> export.

the file you downloaded has crap documentation - none. the link you provided says "There will be differences between the documentation here and the product in your hands, and you may have to figure out quite a bit for yourself." and that holds truth. you can open your pluginmanager and hit the [I] for information. it will tell you which commands the plugin provides. each of them opens a window to set options and export something. it is more trial and error than anything usable at first look at it.

good luck if you are dependant on this plugin user added image

# 4 26-06-2003 , 12:23 PM
Eheh... nice "plugin" :p

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 26-06-2003 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
As far as I remember the Unreal PLugin only works with Maya PLE that ships with the game. Commercial versions cannot run this plugin. This is going back awhile don't remember to well.

# 6 26-06-2003 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber
just checked there website and seems to be a plugin that does work with commercial version....My bad!!!

# 7 26-06-2003 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
You're right BabyDuck not much useful doc for the plugin. Its mostly trial and error on how to get the plugin to work. And I have trialed and errored on this plugin but no such luck. I went into the [I] and see the commands. I ran this command
'utexportmesh c:\projects\characters\scenes\char01.mb' from the script editor but I got this
// Error: utexportmesh c:\projects\characters\scenes\char01.mb; //
// Error: Syntax error //

Any suggestions anyone?

# 8 26-06-2003 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
just type the commands ALONE in the command line.

e.g.

utexportmesh

and then fill out the popping up window

# 9 26-06-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
Hi BabyDuck,

I executed the command 'utexportmesh' alone in the script editor but didn't get any popup window. It did displayed this

utexportmesh;
// Result: utexportmesh command executed.
//

Does the popup window suppose to ask what file to load and where output destination file needs to go? Something like that?

Thanks,
TC

# 10 26-06-2003 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
could be that you have to set up options in the other boxes first - try the others commands first

# 11 27-06-2003 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
You're right BabyDuck, its the axbrush command. Thank you for your tips.

TC