Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 20-03-2013 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
I changed the shader on the orange transparent pieces to a mia_material, I gave them refraction colour that the internet said the colour is. Either I'm not lighting it correctly or the material isn't setup to be transparent orange (I started with the glossy plastic preset and changed the colours from there), but I'm pretty sure the actual piece isn't this colour.
user added image

I changed the primary light's angle and had to composite an AO render to stop the front being super blown out. I'm not sure why the shadow of the transparent visor part of the helmet isn't more orange than it is.
user added image

I put a lens shader on and did and added IBL, though I left them at their default settings (I know... I'm supposed to play around with the settings) and it came out super washed out. I think I'm meant to do something else to correct it but I can't remember what...
user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 20-03-2013 , 12:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
You need to gamma correct the materials. Check out some of the recent lighting tuts here if you can afford to spend a little bit. They will help your understanding of lighting a lot.

# 18 21-03-2013 , 01:04 AM
Lifetime Member
I didnt think you had to gamma correct Maya materials stwert?

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-03-2013 at 01:22 AM.
# 19 21-03-2013 , 02:34 AM
EduSciVis-er
The PS&S creates an exposure correction node on the camera that essentially gamma corrects everything in the scene. Because any colors are already gamma corrected (including maya mat colors and textures), you have to un-gamma correct them, or they will be corrected twice, giving you that washed out look. I think that's right, someone correct me user added image
Check your lens shader to see if it's doing the same thing as the PSS exposure node.

# 20 21-03-2013 , 04:05 AM
Lifetime Member
According to this it talks about file textures stwert? is this the same as Maya materials? I must be confused because I though you didnt have to gamma correct Maya materials and I am using an area light...no sun and no external textures/materials.

https://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/...xposure_simple

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-03-2013 at 04:13 AM.
# 21 21-03-2013 , 12:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think it may depend on how you are doing the linear workflow, because there are a few different ways to get the same results. That's why it's so confusing and hard to keep straight. I will have to defer to someone with more experience.

# 22 23-03-2013 , 05:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just did a little test to check, and yes, if you are using a linear profile, whether with a lens shader or color management, you need to gamma "uncorrect" anything that has color value, including maya materials.

# 23 24-03-2013 , 03:00 AM
Lifetime Member
ahhhhh ok......

bullet1968

# 24 24-03-2013 , 03:32 AM
As someone who has done quite a bit of CGI LEGO work (in blender) this made me feel quite at home while I look to learn Maya. Looks great!