Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-11-2014 , 11:37 PM

Anthro Wolf

This is my WIP anthro wolf, I have modelled it and textured it the only step left for me is to put xGen which I have done currently put Mental Ray is acting up so you have to be pleased with this development for now, constructive criticism is very welcome even if its negative. Some texturing details to be desired but it was my first go at texturing and its not bad for a first go at, UV mapping, texturing and modelling a character in my opinion.
user added image

# 2 10-11-2014 , 11:53 PM
The thin red line
Its a bit dark, I cannot see the form...............dave

# 3 11-11-2014 , 03:47 PM
Here's the model without the textures and a different tail. I'm also on Deviantart xStreetWolfx
user added image

# 4 11-11-2014 , 06:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Good start, I'd add some more details though. Might be difficult since you already UV mapped it..
With details I mean muscles etc.

Creativity is limitless
# 5 11-11-2014 , 06:12 PM
I was going to add muscle but at a later stage when I'll get more practice with modelling.

# 6 11-11-2014 , 11:24 PM
Since xGen has got me to the point of giving up making it work, I decided to abandon putting on Maya xGen Fur onto my Anthro Wolf for now and focus on modelling his clothes that he will be wearing, I started off with the Trench Coat and since majority of my day was spent trying to get xGen to stop crashing and later getting Mental Ray to render xGen hair to no avail as well as using Hair and Shave to find it worse than xGen and abandoned it since I found it tricky to use so I only spent an around 40 minutes creating this Trench Coat, as always constructive criticism is welcome.
user added image

# 7 12-11-2014 , 12:04 AM
The thin red line
You can use maya fur that should work for some thing like this.............dave

# 8 14-11-2014 , 11:11 PM
Lifetime Member

Creativity is limitless
# 9 17-11-2014 , 10:18 PM
It may be a good tutorial, but I would like not to spend money I dont posses. If I had the money I don't know weather I would get it anyway.

# 10 17-11-2014 , 11:08 PM
This is my progress on modelling so far, I only modelled the basic shape for a Shirt and the Jeans and now will go into detailed modelling on the Trench Coat, and Jeans, I modelled basic shape so I know how big to create each clothing so one does not stick through the other, only textured the shirt cos I though I want to add my own shirt design onto it. Would've made more progress but I had to refresh my computer as it was using 60% of my RAM with only my browser running, but at least Maya runs smoother now.
user added image

# 11 19-11-2014 , 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah not bad for a first stab at it. A couple things to note. When asking for critique on models, it helps if you also upload a wireframe shot, specifically "wireframe on shaded" since it allows the viewer to still see a fleshed out model along with the edge flow. If you're testing textures then you're probably better off ditching the cube background for a gray camera background color and applying your model's textures to a surface shader instead of blinns and lamberts.

- Genny
# 12 19-11-2014 , 10:55 PM
Thanks for the critique and thanks for the tips will sure do that in the future.

# 13 29-11-2014 , 12:48 AM
So I decided to master the art of Hair and Shave and the only querry I have is how to make Hair and Shave read texture maps?

Last edited by xStreetWolfx; 29-11-2014 at 01:25 AM.
# 14 30-11-2014 , 11:55 PM
I have been playing around the Hair and Shave for a bit and tried to create a hairstyle for my character, it needs quite a bit of more work before I will be satisfied. Right now I'm gonna try to make it look less female and more male hairstyle, I believe this is mainly to do with the hair on the side.
user added image