Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-07-2006 , 04:24 PM

Cartoon Dog Tutorial help

Hello everyone. I'm new to Maya and I need a little help. I'm following the Cartoon Dog tutorial and everything has been going great until it came time to convert my dog model to polygons. The problem I'm having is when I try to "Union" two polygons together. Its strange, when I select both polygons and go to "Booleans" and I select "Union" both polygons disappear, can anyone help me out , I pulling my hair out.lol.

# 2 10-07-2006 , 04:48 PM
Can you do a work-around withotu using the boolean?
I allmost never use it, its just very un-stable in my opinion.

# 3 10-07-2006 , 05:05 PM
Well, I've just started using Maya, so I'm just going by the tutorial. I have my dog model finished through the nurbs, is it nessassary to convert to polygons? What do think would be the best way to go?

# 4 10-07-2006 , 05:18 PM
yes it is, that way u can use booleans to combine, the edges, trust me it seems strange but its really the right thing to do, the nu can use merge vertcies to clean it up, to make it look soooth again you will change it to subdivs, and it will look alot better, just do it, he knows what he s doing

# 5 10-07-2006 , 05:22 PM
Subscriber
I will sugest that you just use the combine poly tool.

Select the two Polygons and go into Polygon > Combine. After that you just merge the vertex. (Edit Polygon > Merge Vertices)

Hope that help.

Its rice, Its nice.
# 6 10-07-2006 , 05:24 PM
Subscriber
Errrm... and if you get any problems again post it in the "Maya Basics & Newbie Forum"

Its rice, Its nice.
# 7 10-07-2006 , 05:27 PM
Thanks Guys, I'll do it.

# 8 10-07-2006 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
normally, when poly's disappear...it means there's a problem with your normals, or they're not intersecting all the way.

Make sure the two pieces are intersecting completely and there are no gaps between them. Booleans will not work if they don't intersect.

To check normals, go to Display->Polygon Components->Normals
All normals should be pointing in the same direction for each piece (outwards)
If one or both pieces are not pointing correctly, select the piece, and go to Edit Polygons->Normals->Reverse to reverse them so they're pointing outwards.

Once both pieces have their normals pointing outwards, booleans should work fine.

# 9 13-07-2006 , 03:53 AM
Thanks for the response, that help a lot. I'll do that.

# 10 13-07-2006 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
yeah i would just check that the two peices are properly connecting all the way before you boolean...It happened to me before....