Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 21-01-2006 , 07:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Me neither, join the club LOL, But for the future Im seriously considering Shave and Haircut as a replacement!! Its good value for money by far. I use Maya Unlimited at work, and the extras are good but a little slow here and there.

All the best mate
Jay

# 47 21-01-2006 , 07:33 PM
Hey dude

I've heard many people prefer shave and a haircut over Maya fur. What have you heard? It looks pretty cool on its website. I don't feel like I'm missing much with no fur, hair, cloth or fluid effects. Seems like most of the time people have a hard time working with them. Maybe a steep learning curve I guess.

Cheers!

Dave

# 48 21-01-2006 , 09:11 PM
Well a good colleague and friend of mine (GioChrono on SM) has been testing the shave demo and its very good judging by the results hes shown me, the ui is quite neat and is pretty intuitive...

Download a demo dude, I think its a 30day or something so...

Cheers
Jay

# 49 21-01-2006 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Well a good colleague and friend of mine (GioChrono on SM) has been testing the shave demo and its very good judging by the results hes shown me, the ui is quite neat and is pretty intuitive...

Download a demo dude, I think its a 30day or something so...

Cheers
Jay

i beg to differ.

shave is not true hair. its a post effect much like paintFX [although ther are MR shaders it comes with]
styling shave is not at all intuitive. maya's fur has a million+ ways to style your fur/hair.
no true dynamics for shave.

bummer....
user added image

# 50 21-01-2006 , 09:39 PM
Vlad

Bummer...My Arse!!

Unless somebody is running a copy of Unlimited, bought or otherwise, shave is still better than PFX especially for those of us without the cash to by Unlimited or refuse to download hooky software. It can be applied more like a fur description than painting those strokes. I have seen the dynamics run too first hand on shave, I dont have a qualm with it.

Also as far as post effect goes, the same is credited really to all types of fur regardless, especially in larger post houses.

But what I ask having been for demos of PFX and fur at Alias here in the uk one thing I never asked is what the technology is behind Fur? As I know that PFX is based on Nurbs technology, any ideas?

Nuff said, carry on...

Jay :bandit:

# 51 21-01-2006 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
yea, the pricing is outrageous jumping from complete to unlimited.

but i guess if $ is the issue, shave is the way to go for hair sims.

and syflex is a lovely product. user added image i had a chance to use it on a few project.

i choose it anytime over maya clth.

im not too savvy on the tecnology behind maya fur.
i know i had an excessive amount of control last time i was using it.

# 52 21-01-2006 , 10:44 PM
Sorry Dave I know this thread is yours,

Yeah the syflex cloth is bloody good, I got a demo (another one) about 3-4 years back at an old work place to test it instead of the Maya stuff, it was veeery fast, so Id hate to think how quick it is now. And if it was good enough for the Matrix, well thats enough proof.

Yeah the price is seriously bad, this is why Im not anti Autodesk, because my theory is - they could do away with the Unlimited version, Im mean, lets face it, most houses re write the cloth etc anyway, but they could sell one version of Maya and like max have things like fur, hair, fluids and cloth as separate plugins so Joes like myself can pick those up as and when we can afford then then build up the toolkit that way. It would be so much easier too for freelancers.

Cheers
Jay

# 53 21-01-2006 , 11:50 PM
Keep talking user added image I didnt know about shave and that it had a demo (does it leave a watermark or not allow you to save or something?) as I'm worried that paintFX might look a little weak for my model (a guess as I haven't tried it properly yet)

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 54 22-01-2006 , 01:09 AM
Yeah, thanks for the useful information guys. Very helpful.

And great work on your model Dave. It's looking really good so far. Very convincing.

# 55 22-01-2006 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
Hey Dave user added image

The model's looking great, can't wait till you texture it, but isn't the hair pretty short on the real ones?

Dreadlocks ftw though! user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 56 23-01-2006 , 12:02 AM
Blomkaal- Yeah dude. His hair is a bit out of sorts in that last post. He looks like a reject from an 80's hair band or something ... WAR+HOG: TUSKS OF DESTRUCTION ... anyhow, I've checked my refs and trimmed things back since then.

The more I look at SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT the more I am tempted to purchase it ... $399 is a big chunk of change but it shouldn't break the bank! I will try the demo tonight and see whats what.

Dave

# 57 23-01-2006 , 03:07 PM
lol at the war+hogs band, that could be a side project after the comp user added image
keep us informed of how easy/hard it is to get to grasps with shave and if its worth playing with. I've got the demo sat ready to install on my desktop but would like to get the modelling and uv'ing finished before giving it a try.

www.flash-fx.net
# 58 24-01-2006 , 01:11 AM
OK. Here is my final base mesh update! On to texture and bump ... lotsa bump!

T1ck135- Lemme know what you think of SHAVE. I've messed with it a bit and it seems pleasing enough. I'm not sure its something I 'need' but I'll spend so more time with it when I get a chance.

Dave
https://tenthchoir.com/warthog_110.jpg

# 59 24-01-2006 , 08:11 AM
Dave

Looks great, but can u do me a close up of the ear (inner) as I see an area that may cause stretching unless you add a little extra geo to it

Cheers
Jay

# 60 24-01-2006 , 08:37 AM
Looking great, no comments from me other than lets see it textured! user added image

Will (hopefully) give shave a try next week and let you know how it goes user added image

www.flash-fx.net