Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-05-2006 , 09:14 PM

First post - WIP

This is something I've been developing for a while, it was orginaly used for a 2 minute animation, but i've sinces decided to go back and re-do it with everything I've learned, so I present...

"The Father"
user added image

he's the main character who's returned home from a long day and just wants to watch someone TV... But the remote has other plans.

He's my first completly rigged and weighted character, there is several things I need to to, fix up the body a bit and tweak the rig some more and fix some issues with painted weights, but he's looking pretty decent and 1000x better then the orginal character I used in the animation, I'm particularly proud because he's my first success with blend shapes, something I kind of fell asleep during class for and missed alot about.

he needs some issues with his rig fixed.
user added image

# 2 22-05-2006 , 09:15 PM
he's happy!
user added image

and now he's sad user added image
user added image

Angry/annoyed/disgruntled
user added image

Suprised
user added image

and now for some of the set....

he goes on a short trip to the kitchen to fetch something.
user added image

An early shot of the living room where most of the animation takes place in, much has changed since this image and the lighting has been tweaked to look nicer, but this is the only pic I could find and I'm too lazy to render a new one user added image
user added image

a shot of the main props in the animation, the trouble remote and the pack of batteries. (lighting has since been tweaked to fix the shadows)
user added image

# 3 22-05-2006 , 09:27 PM
looks promising!!!

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 25-05-2006 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
Definitely looks promising! My only comments are about the character's hands. They look WAY too small. Obviously, you may have designed them that way on purpose, but right now it doesn't look as if they'll be able to grasp anything! :-)

Otherwise, the expressions you show are convincing, and the character should be able to act nicely! You might want to experiment with the brows on the character and create some blend shapes with them. A few brow expressions would amplify and greatly enhance the mouth and eye expressions you already have!

Looking forward to seeing more!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 25-05-2006 , 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Lt Jim
Definitely looks promising! My only comments are about the character's hands. They look WAY too small. Obviously, you may have designed them that way on purpose, but right now it doesn't look as if they'll be able to grasp anything! :-)

Otherwise, the expressions you show are convincing, and the character should be able to act nicely! You might want to experiment with the brows on the character and create some blend shapes with them. A few brow expressions would amplify and greatly enhance the mouth and eye expressions you already have!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Yeah, The hands issue I've fought with myself many times over, sometimes they seem really small and difficult to use, and other times they look just fine.

I recently decided to add a fourth finger but it didn't turn out to good.

I'm glad the expressions turned out good, I'm quite happy with them as they are the first time I've actually done blend shapes without his face exploding, I could try to work on the brow a little more, I've tried to add eye brows and see if that would help the character at all, but it just looked out of place.

# 6 25-05-2006 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
You don't even need eyebrows. All you need to do is shape the vertices of the brow area to match whatever expression you have. You can do the brows as their own seperate blendshapes. Just keep experimenting and have fun!

"Ad astra per aspera..."