Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-05-2007 , 02:27 AM

Multiple problems (white screen, flickers with paint effects, cursors leave ghosts)

Whenever I go to another window (or another subwindow of Maya), my viewports turn white until I interact with one again. This wasn't too much of a problem until recently.

user added image

I started learning Paint Effects, and decided to give them a try. However, when using 3D Paint Effects if I move my cursor over something that's paintable, it flickers white every frame you move and doesn't remove the previous cursor, which means it leaves red streaks and flickers every frame, basically.

For example, the below picture was tediously done. It made me tired because it flickered enough to cause a seizure or something. NOtice that every single circle is a cursor, not a paint effect.

user added image

This is Maya 8.0. My computer's specs are...
MoBo: Asus® A8N SLI Deluxe - NVIDIA® nForce™ 4 SLI MCP, PCI Express Motherboard with DDR

AMD Processor: AMD® Athlon™ 64 4000+ Processor, 939-pin (I...think it's 2.4GHz)

DDR Memory: 2048MB PC3200 DDR400 Memory (4x512)

PCX Video: 2 x 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX in SLI

2 x 120GB Western Digital WD1200JD 7200rpm SATA/150, 8MB Cache - RAID 0 Stripe (240GB Total)

I am running on Windows Vista, but even when I was on Windows XP the same thing happened. Any ideas?

# 2 13-05-2007 , 05:06 AM
Subscriber
try deleting the preferences folder, you could just rename the folder 'old prefs' if you like and a new 'prefs' folder will be created automatically next time you boot up. I just solved some major problems with new software conflicts this way, , you probably know all this anyway

my documents/maya/maya 8/prefs

(I have 7 and 8.5 so maybe its created a separate folder for each in my case)

if that doesn't work I;d be thinking 'motherboard.' but some of the other boys here are much better equipped with tech knowledge than me

good luck, I had this happen to me just before the motherboard went, or actually for about 12 months, it just got worse.

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 13-05-2007 at 05:09 AM.
# 3 13-05-2007 , 07:54 AM
Soinds like a graphics card issue, as the ones that you are using are not "truley" compatable with maya (see autodesks qualification charts). YOu could try downloading the latest drivers to see if that solves the problem

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 13-05-2007 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
I was going to say that but in my case it was the motherboard?? I think it is hardware on the way out.., as you say drivers might fix it but what do you think the chances really are of that? user added image

# 5 13-05-2007 , 10:54 AM
Quite a bit to be honest, if you look on other forums it's quite a common occurance and most of the time changing the drivers helps to solve the problem, or sometimes changing the anti aliasing settings sorts it out too, have a look in the maya section of cgtalk as theres lots of threads on little glitches like this.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 13-05-2007 , 11:45 AM
Senior Software Developer
This is either on MAC OSX or Vista. tbh Autodesk state that no current Maya release is supported on Vista, so be aware and get XP back on. Its too early in Vistas life to install it. very little supported software of leacy drivers. Also if its MAC OSX, Maya 8.5 is very buggy on that system. So no luck really.

I suggest downgrading to XP and getting your system up to date.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 13-05-2007 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber
ok, live and learn user added image