Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-11-2008 , 01:40 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

LIghting

im a complete noob when it comes to lighting so i decided im gonna stick to lighting projects till i become a bit decent at it
so i modelled a quick scene, its the second floor to a bank i have been modelling for the past two months, iwould like to know the best way to render such kind of scenes without using gi and fg as i here the y take tooooo long to render..
so here i go the scene has like 2 million poly's but im going to concentrate on lighting up the lounge first
here are the screen shots

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-11-2008 , 01:42 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
another shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 08-11-2008 , 01:46 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
the last image so can anyone give me any ideas on how i can start this out

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-11-2008 , 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
*rubs temple* I see a lot of light linking in your future. I will say one thing though, add what you need only when you need it so if something doesn't look right a tleast you'll know where you went wrong.

- Genny
# 5 08-11-2008 , 01:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
is this exported from google sketchup?

# 6 08-11-2008 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
If you want realistic lighting you really should look into FG and GI, although you can always fake the soft shadowing that these produce by using Ambient Occlusion.

Chris

# 7 08-11-2008 , 11:46 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
GecT: out of curiosity im i still going to use the three point lighting system

hammer.Horror:nope archicad but i modelled most of the stuff in maya so its a mix of the two

bendingiscool: that takes too long considering the size of my scene

# 8 08-11-2008 , 11:58 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
and out of curiosity how comes no one ever uses ambent lights as key lights and whats the difference between ambient light and point light

# 9 09-11-2008 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
ambient light is ambient light
point light is point light

ambient means environment, or is a word related to environment... something like that
so an ambient light is a light that affects EVERYTHING equally

point means.... point... in our case, it's a point in 3D space
at that point rays of light are shot out in EVERY direction and it acts as what you'd expect a real ray of light would do. so point lights can cast shadows

i wasn't aware that three point lighting would work in an indoor environment

at least not to create realistic lighting. indoors usually have artificial light sources or have windows where natural light sources can come through. which means you have way more lights to deal with than just two directionals and a point light...

i could be wrong though :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 10 09-11-2008 , 12:32 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
so from your explanation all i need is too throw in an ambient light up in there turn on ray tracing in and it should do some magic

# 11 09-11-2008 , 01:18 AM
Ambient light in Maya is just some crappy hack I believe. However if you use a sky environment and enable GI, FG etc. etc. you can press render and wait for magic to happen... almost.

# 12 09-11-2008 , 01:24 AM
Theres no place for ambient lights in good CGI, they kill any sublties in the lighting and the detials.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 09-11-2008 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber
gster has it right

Originally posted by murambi
so from your explanation all i need is too throw in an ambient light up in there turn on ray tracing in and it should do some magic

sorry if i have mislead you there >.<

when i said ambient lights light everything equally i meant every surface receives the same amount of light.
there are no shadows added by an ambient light or bounce light or anything

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 09-11-2008 , 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Ambient lights flatten out the lighting, it was used in very low intensities as a fill light just so you won't have shadows blotting out areas. FG and GI were developed for a reason, they are not a cure all for every lighting situation but this is an interior shot so I can't see why not. Since you say your scene is so heavy, I say get some stand in geo and keep your MR settings very very low when you're testing and when you're done, render from the command line.

- Genny
# 15 09-11-2008 , 10:57 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

render from the command line

i have no idea how to do.

FG and GI were developed for a reason, they are not a cure all for every lighting situation but this is an interior shot so I can't see why not

check out my scene from most interior gi and fg tuts out there there is usually one opening into the room how can i do that with all my windows

Attached Thumbnails