Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-03-2010 , 06:44 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Render specs

So I thought I was reading something about what is used to do different renders, like...what does it use to render mental ray (graphics and ram?) or what is used to render particles? if anyone could lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

# 2 10-03-2010 , 07:02 PM
Lifetime Member
This is quite a protracted subject and hard to sum up in a short post , but having said that let me try and give you an idea.
Mentalray renderer has features that can approximate real lighting ie Final Gather (bounced light), Global Illumination (reflected environment light) ect but each of these things requires rays to be emitted from a source and reflected back which requires a calculation so therefore increases render times.The same is true of ray traced shadows in Mentalray , although more accurate and sharper than depth map shadows which are softer, they will increase rendertime and resources.
You of course fake things like Global illumination and Final Gather with lights in a scene you plan to use the Maya software render and it will render much quicker and use less resources (it might not be as accurate but it can give a very good approximation of the real world if you understand lighting).
Particles use a lot of resources since again they require a calculation per frame .

So in summary the more features you turn on the longer the render time and more ram required so its a ballance between what you want to achieve and how much time it would take to render it as to wheather you fake it or let Mental ray fake it .
There are many tips and tricks for optimizing render times (too many for a single post )but there are plenty of tutorials around the net that you can read or watch to gain addition knowledge.
i hope this helps you a little and please feel free to ask more questions.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 10-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.