Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-06-2006 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber

Face Texture

modeled the Orc from the tutorial, and decided to do my texture a bit different. green didnt get it for me, wanted to give it more life like features. still very much a WIP and C&C are welcome.

user added image

# 2 24-06-2006 , 06:44 PM
Great start nice to see you trying your own ideas.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 24-06-2006 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
thx kurt,

nice tutorial. i really enjoyed it and was able to follow very easily. and as you said, it is just a tutorial.

this is one a very few organic models for me. and certainly the first texture for an organic model. i was always very reluctant to even try, but between your tutorial and a few other projects i gained enough confidence to modify your tutorial for my purposes.

enough trolling for now. its saturday and the rain just started. so its nap time for me user added image

# 4 28-06-2006 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
havin a tough go with this texture. started messing around with MR and the fast_sss_skin shader. but when I add a bump map, everything goes south. i made a composite of some images, to show what I mean. if anyone has any idea how to make MR_sss behave (like how i blame the program and not my intelligence), i would appreciate the assistance.

user added image

# 5 28-06-2006 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
here is a full version with maya software render

user added image

# 6 28-06-2006 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
loooool,

he looks well funny with the red lips. If that is not intentional you'll have to work a bit on the transition though.

good luck

# 7 28-06-2006 , 02:43 PM
The fat_sss_skin looks the best. Its true the lip transition is pretty rough...if you want one solid color, then just make its a little more pink of the skin color, not so much red...

# 8 28-06-2006 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
nice model

i like the fast_sss_skin_tex (bottom right) BTW

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 9 28-06-2006 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
haha. . .the red lips are not close to what i am after. but once i had the area made, i would be able to easily change the color. i kinda stopped workin on the lips, cause i wanted to see how the whole render would look.

but my problems are that i sorta like the sss_tex, but i cannot see any of the subtleties (veins, skin defects, etc.) of the texture. also, the skin is way to smooth cause there is no bump. and when i add the bump, the results speak for themselves. its all wrong!

i am wondering if anyone has used these shaders before and if so, what am i doing incorrectly with my bump?

# 10 29-06-2006 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
not sure y u cant see veins an thing

but with th sss_text i think the lips look good

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 11 30-06-2006 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
made some progress with the fast_sss_skin. did some more research, cause my results were driving me crazy. maya is daunting enough and mixing in MR leaves me to my life motto - "I am just one button away!"

here is a new render which i am getting closer to what i think it should be. but still having huge problems with a bump. this is the MR fast_sss_skin with a texture map added into the not scattered diffuse channel and the epidermal scattered diffuse channel. plus other maps added into spec and secondary spec channels and a reflected weight channel. i still need some work on the skin specular and the lips are starting to get a nice wet look. i think i can make another map to finish off the lips. and now since i am seeing more details in the skin, adding more layers/defects/colors/veins is going to help make this a very nice overall look. the skin is way too smooth, so i am still looking for some help with this bump. . .:headbang:

user added image

# 12 30-06-2006 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
here is the same render settings with final gather turned on. this is a sublter look, but very lengthy render. . .:hug:

user added image

# 13 01-07-2006 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber
I finally conquered the bump problem. It's not what you connect but how you connect that gets the job done! I think I read thru half a dozen tutorials or more before I found one that addressed bump mapping for the sss shaders.

I am using 6 different maps and still need a couple more. Plus I want more skin variations so I will still mess all the textures.

I also started working on the lips. . .:p I will get them to blend better. If anyone has any tips they would be welcome.

This render has FG turned on with rays set at 100.

user added image

# 14 02-07-2006 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
more changes and tweaks. . .even started some blend shapes.

user added image

# 15 05-07-2006 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber
here's a little update. been working on a rig and some blend shapes. i think blend shapes could go on forever. . .user added image

pay no attention to the render.

user added image