Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-12-2009 , 08:17 AM

PC configuration

Hello friends,

I am planning to buy a new pc to learn maya. I have got the following configurations from my pc supplier. I am not very good to undertsand the hardware. Can you guys please help me in deciding.

1) INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.66GHZ CORE2QUAD DESKTOP COMPUTER
-INTEL ORIGINAL DG41RQ MOTHERBOARD WITH INTEGRATED AGP & SOUND
-2GB DDR2 RAM TRANSCEND
-500GB SATA HARD DISK SEAGATE
GEFORCE XFX 9400GT WITH 1GB RAM GRAPHIC CARD

2) INTEL COREi7 2.66Ghz DESKTOP COMPUTER
-INTEL Corei7-920 PROCESSOR
-8MB L2 CACHE ,2.66GHZ ,1066MHZ FSB)
-INTEL WX58BP MOTHERBOARD
-2GB DDR3 RAM
-SEAGATE 320GB SATA HARD DISK
-GEFORCE XFX 9400GT WITH 1GB RAM GRAPHIC CARD

3) AMD PHENONII X4 925 DESKTOP COMPUTER
-GIGABYTE 785 MOTHERBOARD WITH INTEGRATED AGP & SOUND
-2GB DDR3 RAM TRANSCEND
-500GB SATA HARD DISK WD
-GEFORCE XFX 9400GT WITH 1GB RAM GRAPHIC CARD

Appreciate your help

Mahesh

# 2 24-12-2009 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber
i think more information is needed before we can tell you anything useful user added image
what speed is the RAM? is it 800MHz or 1066MHz or something else?
what operating system is your supplier going to put on it? (Windows i assume, but is it windows 7 32bit or 64bit or something else?)

i'm told (by the internet) that the INTEL WX58BP MOTHERBOARD that you listed is built for XEON processors and ATI graphics cards? no mention about i7 or nVidia graphics card that you have listed there in the second option

similar with the 3rd option, the motherboard doesn't mention it will work with nvidia graphics cards

also... why only 2GB of RAM? the operating system needs at least 1gb alone (or for some reason mine seems to need 2gb), you need at least 4gb, preferably 8 (and an operating system that can handle that much ram)

keep in mind that i don't know all that much about hardware (but it sounds like your supplier doesn't know all that much either, no offence to the supplier or you)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 24-12-2009 , 02:13 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I would take option 2 with more RAM (8 GB) a 64 bit OS and another disk for storage

# 4 24-12-2009 , 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Uhh, aren't Pentium 4 and Core 2 Quads completely different processors? Pentium 4 being single core and a bit old, like at least 6 years old.

Can I make the assumption that you told your supplier the purpose for the machine? I'm surprised all these rigs have only 2GB RAM.

Also the graphic card could be better, the 1GB RAM sounds nice but the truth is that card has a low bit rate, aim for 256 minimum.

I don't know if this is exactly how your supplier listed the information but in rig 2, I found it strange that the motherboard info is listed as if it were two separate components. Anyways, option 3 looks the best but if you were thinking of SLI you can forget it with that board. I don't even think the motherboard in option 2 supports the graphic card.

Chirone, you're right the INTEL WX58BP MOTHERBOARD is for Xeons, the i7 listed is of the same socket type but I dunno how that will work out. To be honest, I would seek different options.

- Genny
# 5 28-12-2009 , 07:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will have rework the configuration with the supplier.

Thanks again

Mahesh