Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-02-2008 , 04:00 AM

3D Models in Real-Life Footage

Hi there.
I asked myself how to bring 3d animations e.g. an walking mummy into real-life footage??? What methods are used to do that. Because if I have footage which is not filmed from a tripod I've got a shaky picture.
Basic question. How to bring 3d animations into my footage? I'm beginner and I'm just wondering myself user added image

greets, kimsay

Last edited by kimsay; 29-02-2008 at 07:50 AM.
# 2 28-02-2008 , 04:32 AM
Lifetime Member
What you need to do is use camera tracking software ie Boujou to track the camera movement in the real life footage.You can then load the data gathered into a Maya camera to match the movement and of course you need to also match the film back, aspect ratio, Speed (FPS) and lens used.
you need to match the lighting and shadow direction and softness ect with Maya lights to create shadows for your object9 i would render the shadows in a seperate pass.Also you will need to create some geometry to cast any shadows on your animated object if needed ( for example a character that might walk over a shadow on the ground of the real footage so that shadow needs to be cast on your animated object too).
Load the live footage onto the shot camera image plane turning down the alpha gain to get some transparency to enable you match any geometry you need to create.
Create any standin geometry needed to obscure your Maya character if it needs to go behind anything in the real footage, you can put a black hole shader on those objects then render out your animation using the tracked camera data and don't forget to save the render in a format that includes an Alpha channel.Finally you can then take your animated Char into a compositing app like After Effects, Shake or Combustion ect and composite the two together.

I bet you wished you never asked now ..lol

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 28-02-2008 at 04:36 AM.
# 3 28-02-2008 , 10:21 AM
Senior Software Developer
Mr Sprogg is correct lol. What you want to do is pretty advanced stuff, take a step back and get your modelling, Texturing, animation, lighting and all that other stuff up to a good level and then worry about compositing.

Oh BouJou is a great App for getting camera data into maya, but After Affect can do the same.

My advise, take baby steps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 28-02-2008 , 04:57 PM
So can maya Live, its not as good as Boujou but it gets the job done

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 28-02-2008 , 06:33 PM
Hi There!!!
First of all I want to thank you guys for your help. I don't want to make such a big thing now. I was just interested in it and I'm glad, that you've make me a little bit wiser user added image I really understood what you told me but I really believe you that it is very complex user added image

Thanks for now!
kimsay

# 6 28-02-2008 , 08:21 PM
No problem for me m8. Everyone who coes into to playing with CG like to know how its done. I originally got into it for Games, and it was all the fault of Half Life 2. Now I love all of it, but would still like to create assets for games, but I have learnt that thats a fleeting dream wothout going to Uni (which I cant afford to do).
But hey its still a gr8 hobby.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 7 28-02-2008 , 09:13 PM
why do you think it is impossible to do cg without going to an uni? OK infact i think it would take to much time to do cg professionally user added image

# 8 28-02-2008 , 10:30 PM
Most companies in he UK will not look at you unles u have studied in a Uni. Esp in the UK.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 9 29-02-2008 , 02:24 AM
I assume in the UK that is the case only for those without an impressive reel or experience correct?

I'm just asking for those interested, hehe, I'm FAR too olduser added image (35)

I started working in effects long before the school curriculum's digital programs were even a dream in someone's mind, as it was far too expensive for them at the time, around 1992-93.
I personally didn't get into digital effects untill 94 working in Photoshop v2&3 on an Amiga learning color theory and compositing basics.
By 1999 I was using Maya a lot after the integration of the Dynamation package from the Power Animator days.
That summer in 99 after Maya Fusion was released, I stuck with Fusion as my compositor.
I've been working as an effects compositor ever sinceuser added image

I personally never took any college other than Film, and my reels have always gotten me my jobs.

Ultimately I guess it depends on your experience and your reel, and if the job specifically calls for uni-trained applicants, as a lead artist I would question that.

If you have a great reel and at least 4+ years of production experience, I've found that most shops will look at you regardless.

Just something to think aboutuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 29-02-2008 , 02:39 AM
yeah basically, u have to be 20 heads above the competition without a Uni education.

I know ppl who have done it and I wanted to get into the games industry, but its near impossible and as i live in Scotland there is little education up here for the CG Industry. Most courses are programming or to get into 3d art you need to have done 2 years (at least) in an art degree. Or do a multimedia course thats not geared to games or 3d, but mixes web, 3d and java usually.

Pretty poor tbh.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 11 29-02-2008 , 02:49 AM
Its a bit like the old thing, you need experience to get a job without a qualification, but you need a qualification before you can get any experience in the field your after.

Suppose one of the ways that you can get noticed without it is is either be on a Mod that works really well and you were a major player in it, or win an award or a challenge....

Or have a kick ass portfolio but that without being able to dedicate a lot of time (as in going to uni so its your "full" time occupation so to speak) its quite hard.

Think because of the industrys evolution it is now a pretty much a must to have a qualification to get on the ladder.

Bit of a rock and a hard place.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle