Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-12-2009 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber

Mellinium Falcon (Revisited)

Good evening everyone!! It has been awhile since the competition that I modeled this for. Summer finally got over here a couple of months ago and gave me a chance to sit in my computer room comfortably! I have been fooloing with the Falcon some more for awhile. I got to the texturing phase of the competition and what I had hoped would work did not. So after I had put alot of time in the modeling the ship itself, I have spent the last month and a half working on figuring out what I didn't understand earlier. I think I may have figured some of what I was missing earlier with the texture. At least I hope so. I still need to do the area where the engines go in the back. Going through and doing a lot of the things time did not allow when I modeled it.

May try to put it in a Landing Bay Scene, or something. Just happy the texture is working. But, just because I think it works, does not mean it does! ;-)

I enjoyed that competition so much, as I wanted to model the Falcon and a it was a chance at some dirtmapping. I hope that you like it, as I haven't shown it to anyone. So if it is green, I'm sorry (joke from the competition as I am colorblind)!!

I will post a link to a picture at 1200X900 (Original Render Size).

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...200X900PNG.png

Hope that you all have had, and continue to have, a great Holiday Week!!

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 2 29-12-2009 , 03:48 AM
Looks awesome! Can't wait for more!

Maybe some detail shots. Yes, Mhmm, those would be nice.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 29-12-2009 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
Good morning!! I know it is a good morning, when I need to turn on the heater. Glad summer has passed!! ;-)

Andy, thank you very much! I really am glad that you liked it! Here is a closer shot of the front. I am farther along on it than the rest. Hope this is more what you wanted.

I do hope for everyone a very good day with many smiles!!!

Here is a link to the original render. (1200X900)

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ontOrigina.png

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 4 29-12-2009 , 04:38 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Tom
Looks like a great start, there are some small differences with the original millenium falcon though.

The hullplating is different, the color is different as well
I have compared it with this image:
https://blogs.sun.com/kevin/resource/m-falcom.gif

I would change the background as well it puts me a bit off and doesn't add to the image.
But as said earlier it looks like a nice startuser added image

# 5 29-12-2009 , 05:39 PM
ahoi tom!

funny thing, couple of months ago I finally bought me the 75cm falcon model yay! with light and sound effects (I always wanted to have it when I was a child). just today I took some reference fotos and I am thinking of rebuilding it in 3D for fun. you pay a lot of attention to detail of what I can see in your pictures. personally I´d be interested in the wires as always. good work!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 6 29-12-2009 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
Thank you guys!! I appreciate it very much. Mastone, the texture of the Falcon is a tough one, I know!! But the example you posted is some different than the reference I use. I use the 32 inch model that was used in the movie. I know I am not close to what it is, but I am a lot closer than I had hoped I would be. Here is one picture of reference I use from the webpage that hosts the pics. Just in case you may need them in the future, here is the link:

https://www.studioscale.com/images/re...aths/index.htm

And Fallott, I am excited for you that you got the Model. It has lights and sound also. YES, I would like one also. I will post the wires, or I can email them to you. Either way I would be happy too share the wires with you. In fact, I can send you a .ma of the model without texture and you can look at it in depth. I would be anxious to see your model of the Falcon, that would be neat!!!

P.S. Mastone sorry you don't like the background. I will consider changing it. Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 29-12-2009 , 09:49 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I see the same differences in the image you posted as compared to your model.
I know it's near impossible to get the exact same details as the original but at least get the overall characteristics right:
- The hullplates on the original have a larger variation in size than your model, so at least variate it.
-There are some red patches on the body of the millenium falcon in the original
-I saw some laser/phaser -damage on the reference images that would be a nice addition to your model it will break up your model and will add to believeability of your model that it is a war battered smuggler cruiser.
-About the background: it's not that i dislike your background as is, but it just doesn't match up color wise with your milleniumfalcon, I think if you would make a scenery where for instance:
The millenium falcon is going into the atmosphere of a planet, smoke coming from the laserdamage from the hull and somewhere in thecomposition you se a small landingstrip or town.
Something like this will add to believeability and dynamics in your render albeit a lot more work, but I am guessing it's a private project so no rush right?

And last but not least, I am not bashing or trying to put you down I just think giving some constructive critisism has more value than a good job /I love your work and will you marry me ( joke) remarks.
user added image

# 8 30-12-2009 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Looks good tom, I started one of these along time ago, but...due to computer issues i never ot to finish it..
interested in seeing how yours turns out user added image

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 9 30-12-2009 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Mastone, then I did not completely understand what you had posted. Yes the deck plates have been different since I started modeling it for the competition early this year. It was my choice to do them as they are. I can't possible do everything exact, and the deck plating the was it is on the real model at the time seemed over my head. I know the deck plates are a very big part of the ship and should conform to the original. I will take the blame for it. I am hoping to put the laser blasts in. I had hoped to do that for the competition. But when my texture did not work as planned, it set me back. Will try hard to get them on this one. I think you feel I am going to make that background a part of the scene when finished. No, that I just through in for some contrast. I hopefully will have it in a landing bay, and not hanging from a key chain this time. So the background will be just temporary. I do appreciate your paying attention to my project. Thank you!!

And I always enjoy seeing your work!!

# 10 30-12-2009 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
legendofzombi, I would hope to see you go back and try again on the Falcon. I am sure you were having fun with it!! I like doing this project as it is all just for fun, and to learn dirt mapping. I am having a lot of fun, but learning seems to come a little harder!! ;-)

# 11 30-12-2009 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
Falott, here is a wire of the front. If you have any areas that are of interest, please let me know!!

DAMN!! I am truly sorry about the size. My mistake!! :-(

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 30-12-2009 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber
I might start it over sometime soon.
I have some other things i have to do first.

I am curious after seeing your wires, .. It might just be the image, and you're spacing of edges and i just cant see them at the moment. but do you plan to throw a smooth on it or just use soft normals or what in the end?...
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 13 30-12-2009 , 04:16 AM
Looks awesome. I really love the intricate detailing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 14 30-12-2009 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
Good morning!! What a beautiful Moon in the sky!! Blue Moon tomorrow night!!

Ctbram, thank you!! I am having a lot of fun with modeling all of the things for the Falcon. It is the challenge of the geometry and figuring how to model it. But the tricky stuff sometimes is getting it to smooth correctly. I love that kind of stuff!! I am, and have been, watching your progress. You do very nice work.

I know my border edges are hard to see in the wire I posted. I always make my edges quite tight. So here is a shot of a closeup both unsmoothed and smoothed. I always model to be Subdivided. It was something I learned early and have always done. I am posting them at Photobucket so they are large enough for you to see.

As I mentioned earlier, if there is an area of interest, I will get a wire of it posted also.

It is very early and still having my coffee. I will post more as I start to become human!

I do appreciate all of the comments. You are being kind!! Thank you!!

Unsmoothed:
https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...smoothed-1.jpg

Smoothed:
https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ewSmoothed.jpg

# 15 30-12-2009 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
I have thought and it would be good for me to explain a couple of things about my project. It is all modeled in Maya, as I am much more comfortable with it and see no reason to change. But I render in 3DS Max and use V-Ray. I gain two advantages I really enjoy for them. The first one is a real benefit I have found. In Max 2009 their Mental Ray has a Composite Node that gives you many of the Photoshop abilities. You can layer just as in Photoshop and have the blend abilities. Here is a screen shot of one of the materials I used on the Deck plating. I am sure someone will know of how I can do it in Maya, but learned of it while using Max. And as you can see it is plugged into a VRayDirt node. In the VrayDirt I have alot of parameters I can work with that I find alittle more difficult, meaning how and where to change something, in other occlude materials. I plugged the composite node into the Unoccluded color and black will be the occluded color. Layer 1 in the composite is the color. Layer 2 is the texture you see on the plate that is the dirt, or what I call it. Layer 3 is a alpha I make in Photoshop and do a brush stroke around the edges of the plating. I save it at 80% fill opacity, and in the Composite I lower the overall opacity to 30%. And layer 4 it the same, except in my UV's I had made an edge where the plates overlap and I do a brush stroke there also.

Well, I am sure that is more than you may have wanted to know, sorry!! But I like doing everything in my render, and as little as I have to in post. This help me do that!

OK, back to work Tom!! ;-)

Attached Thumbnails