Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-03-2003 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber

Humbuckers

hey, got me new guitar today, the other was getting a bit too wrecked, and this is significantly better than my old one, but can someone tell me what difference the tightness of the hubuckers make? cos my front one fairly loose :S

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 28-03-2003 , 07:01 AM
It could be that the two screws on the front plate on either side of the pickup are a bit loose. If you tighten them a bit should take care of the problem. Don't tighten them too much otherwise the pickup posts (6 metal cylinders in the pickup) will be too close to the strings and that can cause distortion or the strings can actually "stick" to the magnetic posts.

Also, you can play with the level of the pickups in this way to achieve a more even tone across the strings. Or, you can raise the pickup on one side so that it's closer to the lower tone strings to give them a bit more "oomph".

Another thing: use a good screwdriver of the proper size to adjust the side screws otherwise you'll strip them. Happens a lot because the screws tend to be made from soft metal.

One last thing: take your new guitar to a reputable luthier (guitar and stringed instrument maker) to check the intonation (the correct length of the string in relation to the frets). Almost all new guitars, even very expensive guitars are not setup properly from the factory. My new Godin LGXT (not cheap) needed to be adjusted and in fact needed a few frets filed down. Actually, I went for a whole new fret job just to make it perfect. Also had the neck's radius (the curvature on the top face of the neck) redone so that it is smaller toward the head and larger toward the bridge (compound radius). Makes for much easier playing. This is a bit overkill but I wanted a guitar that I could be happy with for 20+ years.

Hope this answers your question.

# 3 28-03-2003 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
is there any info on the net about setting up a guitar yourself? cos im sure i can do it without needing to pay someone else to

and about the pickups, the side panels holding them arent actually loose, its the thing itself
ive attached a picture and highlighted in red what is loose, is there any way i can tighten them? or should they be loose?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com