Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-09-2002 , 12:46 PM

Fatal Error!

Both I and someone else have posted about this on CGTalk, without much success, so I was wondering if any of you guys know what this is all about:

The error message goes something like:

"Fatal Error attempting to save in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\temp\14489047.ma"

well that's roughly what it looks like anyway, the filename may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was a .ma

Now this has happened to me a couple of times recently. First time I had something running in the background so I put it down to that.

Second time, I was working on file for which I was using Incremental Save, with Limit Saves set to 20. After a while the save function stopped working, i.e. it generated a new file but it was all messed up: wrong materials in the wrong places and stuff. Anyway, I was in the middle of a complicated mapping operation and Boom! up comes the error message. So Maya closes, I start her up again when Boom! something like this:

"Maya.exe has generated errors and will be closed" (roughly) at which point my system hung so bad I had to reboot.

Now I saved the last good file under a new name and turned limit incremental saves off and so far, no more problems.

has anyone experienced anything like this before or know the cause?

# 2 18-09-2002 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
I can't really help you there mate. I've had the exact same error a couple of times though without using incrementel saves. When i restart Maya everything is fine though, no errors like you are receiving. This has only happened twice though and each time i actually did something i didn't mean to. The annoying part about this error is Maya makes no attempt to save your working file. I think in Max, if an error occurs and it has to shut down it tries to save a copy first.

# 3 18-09-2002 , 02:41 PM

Originally posted by mrmacca
I think in Max, if an error occurs and it has to shut down it tries to save a copy first.

Find this one quite doubtfull ... since almost all applications try to close instead of saving (that´s why they are called fatal errors) lol

Anyway .. don´t want a flame thread here so .. that was my 2 cents.

# 4 18-09-2002 , 02:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Maya does have a failsafe that saves a file to your project folder if an error occurs that the cpu is able to detect... however, more often than not, the error can over ride that failsafe and no save is made. I've run into this myself a couple of times. When it happens, just make a note of where the save was made and restart the computer. As with any program, crashes happen. There doesn't necessarily have to be any sort of good reason for it. :p

# 5 18-09-2002 , 03:18 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Maya does have a failsafe ...

Hmm .. interesting .. might have spoken too early. Sorry.

# 6 19-09-2002 , 09:32 AM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
What a fool! I thought it was saying that a fatal error had occurred while it was attempting to save . I was thiking, well why the hell are you trying to save it? That makes more sense, but doesn't really help! Guess I'll just have to put up with it. Incremental Save is a life-saver!