Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 21-03-2005 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
what i like about u is that what ever ur concepts are, u perfectly model it....keep it up man!!user added image

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 32 21-03-2005 , 09:34 PM
**BLUSH!!** Geee thanks!

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 33 22-03-2005 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
keep the updates coming, like the intakes, would like to see the exhausts.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 34 22-03-2005 , 07:34 AM
Subscriber
Love the attention to detail. Great looking model!

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 35 23-03-2005 , 06:50 PM
Hey all!
It is good to see some really hot looking robots out there in this comp! I should become a simplylightwave member so I can see dae's work tho! That dude is a machine!

Anyway I have been back to the drawing board as my original concept did not work in a "real" sense. I want all of the swivels and joints to be practical and believeable - Sigh@*! So I have been working out all of the fine details and it is starting to come together.

Dont forget that there is a little more to this robot than you see at first glance heh heh. Not hard for you to figure out really.

Anyway, here is some modelling detail from the ball joint.

Attached Thumbnails

# 36 23-03-2005 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
looks good surfer, like the swivel joints those little things make it seem more real,
you are not missing much over at simplylightwave, all I have are a few polys and some curves, thats about it.

Keep the updates coming.user added image

Dae

René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 37 23-03-2005 , 10:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Surfer!!!

Hey Bud hows it going? Love the model!!
Regards
_J

# 38 31-03-2005 , 03:02 AM
Hey Jango! Hope all is well and it is always an honour/pleasure to have your comments.
Dae! Duuuude! I hope your stuff is coming along well. How many have you won now? Heh heh - Yah freaking legend!

I am getting all bogged down in detail at the moment. Like how is thing gonna work? Really? I had to mock up some elements really roughly to get a feel for it all and then rework some of the plans. So despite doing truckloads of work, I am not really much further in the actual real model.

Here is a little more.

Attached Thumbnails

# 39 31-03-2005 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber
looks very nice. will be intresting to see how it will go about its work.

# 40 31-03-2005 , 08:15 AM
Subscriber
very nice, it gets better every time you post:tup: , I had to stop mine, just dont have the time and as for how many I have won, 6, it is just that sometimes only a few people finish and submit there work.

Dae

René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 41 31-03-2005 , 12:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Surfer

Neat layout dude keep it up!! I havent won any as I dont enter, dont have time unfortunately or I would, maybe next year I'll start between projects.
My own stuff is coming along well thanks, Ive changed my work flow a little to doing a load of models before their textures are done and then rig all at once where necessary. Have just put another 5 or 6 sketches in my 2d gallery so check it out!!

And as for the Legend comment, more like Leg-End!! LOL

Later Bro
_J

# 42 31-03-2005 , 10:04 PM
WOAH! Jango! Your texturing has improved so much! Your guys are looking quite realistic. Very impressed brother!

Other viewers of this thread check out...
https://www.outlaws3d.co.uk/3dGallery.html
and I guess we are all happy that you are not competeing in these challenges heh heh!

Ok here is my big surprise!!!
The arms on the little robot fold out - Now figuring out how this all works has been taking quite some time so I thought I better show development otherwise people might think it was an afterthought. Sigh! So many fidely bits and I guess you won't even see them on the final render - blah! At least I will have the peace of mind to know that it all works.
Rigging is gonna take some serious time too.

https://www.winteractiv.com/robo/arm02.gif

Just a note... The 3d renders (arms in particular) are of a very low quality model that I constructed to work out if my initial concept sketches worked.
The fingers in the sketches are on funny angles so I could figure out how they work. The modeled ones will look cooler and they retract into the main "hand" bit when folding away.
Phew!

Dae! Bummer that you have not continued in this one... I bet you have been distracted by the new CG-Talk comp. Are you gonna enter??

# 43 31-03-2005 , 11:09 PM
The Maya Mountain
cool concept drawing!

# 44 06-04-2005 , 11:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback Mike and I am glad you like the concepts.

I have been working on completing the arm section and have about half of it done. It looks really basic but it is actually very complicated. I have broken the pieces of one arm apart so that you can see the components that make up the construction. - Oh how I wish my model was not so organic as pipes and squares are so much easier to model. I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

https://www.winteractiv.com/robo/half_arm.jpg

Gotta hurry and finish the model so I can rig and texture it!!! Fast running outta time.

# 45 06-04-2005 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
Surfermcd,
Amazing work and a real testament to the use of references (even self-made references). The "transformer" aspect of the arms should look very cool, although I don't envy you in your animation setup user added image

Three weeks... ROCK ON!

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."