Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-06-2011 , 09:34 PM
Total noobz

Joint orientation for Leon

Can anyone help? The book is not very clear on how to actually do this part of it. here is the screenshot of where I'm at. Many thanks before hand. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-06-2011 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
PonyBoy, this isnt actually a SimplyMaya tutorial. This is from the Modeling and Animation Handbook isn't it? With the squirrel also?

You best explain a little more about what you are trying to do...?

# 3 10-06-2011 , 01:51 AM
Total noobz
Ben yes it is from that book. I didn't know where else to put it ... oops! user added image

I'm at the point before the mirror the skeleton where I need to orient the joints properly on their axises. All the book shows is a picture.

For example in the book it shows all the spine joints with the "Z" on the right side of the spinal column...and you can see in my screenshot the lower 3 spine joints, the Z axis is on the left. I dont know how to orient the joints properly. The book isnt clear on this.

# 4 10-06-2011 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
No problem Ponyboy.

First up, I should say that I havn't covered animation in Maya too much. If you post up your troubles with these rigging and animation chapters in the animation part of the forum, there will be folks there who can help. Perhaps even a search for 'joint orientation', as I'm sure similar questions have been asked in the past.

With that said...joint orientation, the several times that Ive come across it, I find awkward too. To change the orientation of the joints, go into component mode...(see screenshot). When in component mode, click the question mark filter (number 2) and you should see the local axes of the joints. You can then use the rotate tool to manually change the orientation. In the 'Skeleton' menu of the animation menuset theres a reorient joint tool also...if you click the dialogue box option on the end, you can select your settings, and then reorient the joint that way too.

Hope that helps a little...

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 29-06-2011 , 01:41 AM
Total noobz
Thanks Ben!!

# 6 29-06-2011 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Ben!!

no worries. im following the same rig at the moment in my 'rigging the demon guy thread'. finished the rig just now. will try binding it over the next couple of days.