Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-03-2006 , 02:47 AM

Creature: Feng Zhu Robot

Here's a feng zhu character concept i'm modeling. I'd love some crits.

I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to light/shade and render this. I seen another Feng Zhu concept brought to life here by someone whose name I forget but it was awesome, id love to do this piece equal justice.

You can see his original concept here: https://www.fengzhudesign.com/char_04.html
And his website addy: www.artbyfeng.com

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by BRUTICUS; 07-03-2006 at 04:21 AM.
# 2 07-03-2006 , 02:52 AM
Thats some great detail there,

Im not one for texturing that well, but looking at your model i can say it is going to take a while :p.

Maybe for the lighting just for preview purposes add Final Gather rather that just a spot light, it will bring the detail out alot more.

# 3 07-03-2006 , 02:56 AM
thanks concord, yeah i'm playing with the lighting trying to get mental ray under control right now. As is it has FG with a bit of dirtmap, not sure if its set up right or not though because I seem to remember FG giving more of a uniform lighting over the whole model.

Anyways, I dfound the artist who I was looking for earlier it was Pure Morning : https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=1
The guy did an AWESOME job on that Feng concept.

Thanks for the tip, i'll try and tweak it to get rid of that spotlight look for next render.

# 4 07-03-2006 , 02:59 AM
Sweet,

Just take the spotlight out, then create a poly sphere and expand it so it covers the whole area, create a new lambert material for the sphere, in side view cut the sphere in have so uve only got the top half left. raise the ambience and translucence up to about 1/4 (adjust to ur liking) and yer u should have a nice render.

Cheers.

# 5 07-03-2006 , 03:23 AM
whoa. That's definitely more along the lines of where I want to go with the rendering. Thanks man!

Last edited by BRUTICUS; 07-03-2006 at 11:59 PM.
# 6 07-03-2006 , 03:24 AM
Wow looks heaps Better,

Try doing a render with samples at 1/3 and using a mitchell filter may take 5 min longer but ur image will look much sharper.

Cheers.

# 7 07-03-2006 , 04:09 AM
That did bring out some more details. Thanks a lot man!

Now I think i'll just continue modeling the details and filling him out. Then i'll move onto texturing. Last step will be the proper posing and majority of wires all over the place.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 07-03-2006 , 04:27 AM
Looks Awesome man,

Glad to help.

Cheers

# 9 07-03-2006 , 01:54 PM
Yeah, great work BRUTICUS. Well done. I really like this model so far. Any plans to finish the rest of him as in the concept sketch?

# 10 07-03-2006 , 02:21 PM
Thanks Arran! Yes I plan to finish it, I wanted to get a lighting set up I was more comfortable with before I continued on with the model. A lot of little details to put in but the most challenging part is making it feel like everything is really one cohesive piece and not a pile of random objects....

Im working on this sucker tonight after work. Hopefully get another dent put in it or two.

# 11 19-03-2006 , 10:45 PM

Update!

Hey all, put a couple more dents in whaddya think?

In the original concept barely any of the lower legs are visible so im filling in the blanks on my own, id realy like to know peoples opinion on my direction, with the lower legs especially, appreciated!:
user added image

Current WIP: <A HREF="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20529">Feng Zhu Concept: Junk Robot</A>
# 12 20-03-2006 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
love it!! the stomach area is really nice!! maybe some more detail on the feet would match the overal look of it user added image

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 13 20-03-2006 , 09:58 AM
Great modeling user added image and detailed piece.

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship
# 14 20-03-2006 , 06:42 PM
Yeah, definitely a bit more detail in the feet will help, but this is really coming along nicely - I really like the asymmetry of this model and also the jumble of parts - keep it coming.user added image

# 15 27-03-2006 , 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I decided to take the left leg in a very different direction after finding some details I couldn't see before in the concept.

Attached Thumbnails

Current WIP: <A HREF="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20529">Feng Zhu Concept: Junk Robot</A>