Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-03-2012 , 02:59 PM

V Ray

Hi excuse my ignorance, but I don't know much about V ray.

Why is it good, and should I be using it instead of Mental Ray?

Graham

# 2 07-03-2012 , 07:24 PM
The Nurb Herd
its just different.
whether you use it or not depends on what you expect from v ray over mental ray?

# 3 07-03-2012 , 09:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
As Dom says really

I use both MR and vray currently, one at work and one at home.

And to be completely honest, I only prefer MR because I have used it more, however you can achieve some solid renders out of Vray. Theres tons of documentation on the web from Spot3d.com among other places.

At the end of the day its how you make it work, you have to put the effort in, theres no magic 'make my render look photoreal' button in any renderer, you have to do that bit.

Jay

# 4 07-03-2012 , 10:03 PM
I guess I can continue on with Mental Ray so.. just thought I may have been missing out on something.

# 5 08-03-2012 , 03:09 PM
I would advise you to focus on Vray.
I started on Mental Ray in Softimage 3.5 in 1997. It's a great engine, but it's aging, and fast.
Most of it's inner structure is outdated and it's struggling to meet today's standards.
Nvidia fired most of the dev team at mental image, it's clearly dying a slow, painfull death.
All the companies in France are switching to Vray in Maya for commercials, and my friends in the US tell me the same things. They used to be pro Mental ray people!
Vray is simpler to use, and you get better results faster.
You'll have better chance finding a job if you know Vray now, unless you're aiming at some old company that still uses MR.

# 6 08-03-2012 , 04:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
In that case I'd advise you to use the best....renderman

or for a renderman compliant...3delight (its a free render engine)

Jay

# 7 08-03-2012 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
I ve tried both. Vray works better for me.
-Gpu render (for setting lights works)
-multi tread support @ render
-if you start a huge render like 30-40minutes one. It wont freeze your maya... In brakets you ll see how its calculating

I remember earlier i tried render cars with mentalray.. I did not know what is happening. It completly froze my maya..... after 45min the render was ready.

# 8 08-03-2012 , 06:02 PM
The Nurb Herd
I totally agree that mr is outdated.

It seems to me that some people learning maya, don't learn much about mental ray initially. they end up just turning on final gather, global illumination, dof and bokeh. Then they set the globals to production quality preset and inevitably they get painfully slow renders. I guess this is why people search for the fabled lightening renderer that will also give them better looking, more realistic renders. you need to learn how to light and render regardless of the render software you use.

# 9 09-03-2012 , 01:45 AM
Technical Director
I've been using Mental Ray for about 8 years now, and still struggle with the damned thing. It's a great renderer, but the integration in Maya is appalling. The Max integration is better, but still not great. My favorite renderer is still Brazil R/S for 3ds Max; but it hasn't been updated in a very long time. The company was bought, and it's turned into vapour-ware. user added image

From what I've played around with Vray in Maya, I like it quite a bit. It has it's quirks, but it has a much better workflow in Maya than MR has. It's SSS shader is pretty good too. Simple, and fast.

Still waiting for Arnold though user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 09-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.
# 10 09-03-2012 , 10:28 AM
The Nurb Herd

Still waiting for Arnold though user added image

Boom! now your talking.

# 11 09-03-2012 , 11:00 AM
Subscriber
Arnold?........

# 12 09-03-2012 , 02:23 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 13 09-03-2012 , 03:50 PM
Maybe I'm saying crap but aren't Vray and Arnold related in some ways? I heard they are very similar BUT I don't know how and/or if that's true.
Arnold seems pretty kickass tho.

# 14 09-03-2012 , 04:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Someone needs to make a render engine chart... there's too many... gah.

Name, company, biased/unbiased, price, maya integration, realtime, CPU/GPU, features (motion blur, SSS, DOF, fur/hair etc.), vaporware or not, industry adoption, abundance of learning materials.

For: mental ray, vray, maxwell, arnold, 3Delight, renderman, brazil, octane, luxrender, kerkythea.

Shouldn't be hard user added image Thanks!

# 15 09-03-2012 , 04:40 PM
Technical Director

Arnold?........

Arnold is the renderer being used at Sony Pictures Imageworks. They've been showing us teasers for years.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.