Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-08-2006 , 06:59 PM

Skin and Skeletons

Having some problem with adding shapes and skin to a skeleton I've created. Its not impressive, just simple joints. I have absolutley no idea how to add skin and stuff, but playing with it, i realize that how i am doing it must be wrong.

Any help? Maybe a good tutorial?

I'm using Maya 6.5, so I'm sure its easier in 8...

TazinLWFL@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Tim C.
Igloozion Designs
www.IgloozionDesigns.com

# 2 28-08-2006 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
If I'm interpreting your question right, you do not add skin as such, but you create a model of what you wish to animate or pose, via nurbs or polys, then you create the joints inside your geometry and bind ( which determines what joints have effects on parts of the geometry) you model and joints together.

Think it best to find some tutorials on rigging if possible to understand further.

Just found this in the free tutorial section here have a look

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=36

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 3 30-08-2006 , 08:49 AM
Subscriber
Can't see your screen shot, you first create the model, then add the skeleton to pose it or animate it.

# 4 30-08-2006 , 08:52 AM

Skeletons... and... w/e

Tried that...

I got how to add a skeleton... i'm not sure if its very accurate... but, here... I'll post an image of my model, and the skeleton...

Am i supposed to make a skeleton, add simple geometry to it... THEN add complicated model as a skin to the simple geometry?...:headbang:

I used polygons to make the model, not NURBS (a tutorial I found from an older post. It helped alot)
My first model!!!:attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 30-08-2006 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
Hmm...I really can figure out what you are asking, if you want to attach the skeleton to the geometry (model) Change to the animation menu, under skin>bind skin>smooth bind have the skeleton highlighted then shift select the model prior, or it may be the other way around.

# 6 30-08-2006 , 09:02 AM
picture 2....

now when i try to move this, it deforms horribly...
whether i use rigid or smooth...

rigid isnt as bad, but it folds in the wrong way...

i'm sure i'm missing some properies for the skin, so what should I do?

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 30-08-2006 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
No that is right, though this is not a quick process, binding just attaches the model to the skeleton and make certain assumptions on what vertices will be effecting when joints are moved. You now have to fine tune this binding by painting weights into your model which lets you control where and how joints bend.

I would try and find a tutorial on painting weights as it will be much clearer than me trying to explain from memory plus i've only done this a few times myself and am far from an expert.

# 8 30-08-2006 , 09:11 AM
Here's a pose I made...

notice the hip...

what you dont see is the sholder... or the lower back...

not very realistic...

Attached Thumbnails