Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-07-2008 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber

two monitors for video games

Ok so when playing video games on one monitor is there anyway I can still use the other monitor for other things (instant messaging, web browsing, etc.) without having to quit the game?

# 2 01-07-2008 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
it depends on the game

for instance if its something like comand and conquer then you can't scroll in the direction of your second monitor (so if number 2 monitor is on your right you can't scroll on your right), so you can still do things like instant messaging

if its something like warcraft (the rts, not the mmo) then you have to alt+tab or do something similar that will have the game minimized

otherwise the only way you can still do other stuff without quitting or minimizing the game is to play it in a window

some games support this i think (like dark reign 2)

# 3 03-07-2008 , 06:43 PM
Acid44
i do that with my friends lapytop and my monitor, the only way i've ben able to do it is by pausing the game and swithing to the other screen, but im sure you wouldnt want to leave it unpaused and be a sitting duck :p

user added image

# 4 03-07-2008 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber
this is call of duty 4... I realized I can switch between screens but it takes a little bit of practice, during the game hit escape and it brings you to a menu screen. And from there quickly move and click your mouse on the screen that has the instant messenger that will minimize it...

# 5 04-07-2008 , 02:10 AM
Acid44
best thing i've ever done with dual screen gaming= game on one screen - task manager open to the processer/resorces tab on the other... it's wicked for if you have a crap computer runnin high resource games cause you can easily terminate unnessecary apps and keep an eye on your ram and shituser added image

# 6 05-07-2008 , 04:25 PM
Many games support windowed mode. At least with a bit modding and persuasion user added image . you have a big screen (1280 or higher) then it's even pretty easy to minimize the most problematic games quickly, and you don't even need 2 screens usually...
I believe it is still useful for other stuff, such as ... arrr ... oh ya, Maya for instance user added image
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)