Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-01-2010 , 10:07 PM

First head help

basically ive been modeling my first head and am in need of some critisisms/ pointers for it. also if anyone could explain how to create effective hair for it or point me to a tutorial, id be grateful.
thanks in advance.

plus i hope this is a) in the rite place and b) with pic attached properly

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-01-2010 , 01:23 PM
The thin red line
If you want help as you go this should be in the WIP forum. not bad for a first..........dave

# 3 14-01-2010 , 01:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Could you post your reference photos and also a wireframe of the model?

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 4 14-01-2010 , 02:32 PM
i changed it slightly since then. the reference i used was from www.the-blueprints.com in the human section. it was a cartoony styled drawing but i changed the eyes a lot and now the entire thing looks nothing like the reference.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 14-01-2010 , 02:33 PM
oh i found the reference image.

Attached Images
# 6 15-01-2010 , 05:58 AM
Technical Director
That's from the Joan of Arc tutorial by Michel Roger: https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...c/joanmenu.php

I think taking a look at the underlying structure of the skull, and muscles will greatly help the form of your model. You generally want the edges to flow around the muscles, and contour the bones. This makes it much easier to animate, and tweak.

You poly count is also very high. I would try to bring it down. You could use more in the eyes though. Take a look through that tutorial. It should help you out.

Looks good for a first attempt.

-ND

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 15-01-2010 , 08:23 PM
thanks for the reply, will definitely look at that. im aware that my poly count is high anythin that i make that isnt a building or car seems to get pretty high.user added image i guess i get to involved with it..