Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-04-2005 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber

Computer keeps freezing

while working in maya when ive got most of the spitfire turned into sub-ds etc everything becomes very very slow and the computer eventualy comes to a halt....

my PC specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+ @ 2191MHz

Gigabute GA-7N400 PRO2

Two sticks of Crucial 512 DDR

Abit Radeon 9600 256mb graphics card

650 watt PSU

anyone recommend anything?

Chewy
# 2 10-04-2005 , 07:46 PM
i'm willing to bet it's the video card causing it.

Simply put, ATI & Maya don't mix very well, especially in versions before Maya 6.5.

With my 9800pro I had that exact issue in Maya 5, except when the computer went blank it was recovered through the 9800's VPU recover option.

Maya 6.5 is a lot more stable, thankfully, though it will still crash if you have anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled, and it wont' even start if you have vsync on.

best permanent solution would be a different vid card which is on Alias's compatibility list, but otherwise its a tough thing to give fixes for.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 10-04-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
i had a feeling it was the graphics card again... my old man said it shouldnt but hey? lol

i did post same sort of thread months back and ppl recommended me a gaphics card... but ive got a price limit of say £200 i guess.. i could stretch to £250?

so if ppl could recommend current graphics cards etc would be great

cheers

Chewy
# 4 10-04-2005 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
I have a ATI Radeon 9200 and boy does maya hate it user added image

I changed my monitor refresh rate to 75 hertz and that seems to have given me more stability. I did around 4 hours work on Maya yesterday, without a crash . . . that's a record for me.

You may need to play with your display settings on your card, it may help. The best solution is going to be a new card . . which is one of the options I'm currently looking at.

Cheers
Paul