Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-05-2010 , 11:20 AM
Lifetime Member

UV mapping trick

Ok guys,

I notice the newer Maya has a path selection for faces, ie select a face nominate the path and you can select the 'ring' you want.

Well having none of that (Maya 8) I wondered if you could do it in UV mapping. Getting individual vertices and pulling them out is a pain!!!! So I tried something, you probably all know it so I thought I would post anyway and see if I get anymore Maya 8 tips (in secret, snicker).

Watch the vid and it will be clear. As long (as far as I can see) the 'first' line you pick, is the hardest, but once its done you can select the next line to pull out. Using the 'shift>' expand then scale and move those nasty little buggers out of the way to get to the next line.

If it only helps one person...then my job is done.....hang on it helped me!! my job is done.

cheers bullet

do we have a hot tips for the day in the forum??

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/UV%2...ng%20trick.wmv

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 07-05-2010 , 03:53 AM
it's very useful,please mention it by step by step.

# 3 07-05-2010 , 04:06 AM
Lifetime Member
I cant compress a vid that small 3ddon, I could try it though. I found its not so good if the vertices are really twisted and overlapped but its still possible as I did it last night. I was getting annoyed with vertices close together and 'duplicated' ie one or more on top of the other. Its not fool proof but still saves a lot of mucking around. I used layout or unfold and didnt quite get what I wanted so had a think and tried this. I will try and copy the object (a cylider with overlapping edges) and show it to you.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 07-05-2010 , 04:08 AM
Lifetime Member
I will give it a go shortly, got a funeral to deal with first, I will try the vid and post.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 5 07-05-2010 , 09:53 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 6 07-05-2010 , 04:55 PM
Thank you.....user added image

how you are selecting the uvs?
(shift,expand.......?)
where is expand?
you did not went to any menu which appears when holding shift/ctrl,but you are selecting the bunch of uvs,how?

# 7 08-05-2010 , 12:11 AM
Lifetime Member
hi mate,

I use the lasso tool to select a row of UV's or the select tool by holding down RMB and drag across the ones I want (same with lasso).

When you have done that and manipulated them hold the shift key down AND press the ">" key on the keyboard, this is the expand selection so "shift plus the > key" will expand a selection. The reverse to collapse is "shift plus the < key".

When you have expanded then hold down "Ctrl" and drag, as above, with lasso or select tool and this will DESELECT the UV's you choose. Leaving only the row you want to work on.

This also works in modelling as well, with all aspects, ie faces, edges etc.

I also use it when choosing in the model mode as well, there is no menu, just keys. Make a poly sphere, pich one face, then use the expand keys and you will see what happens. In the new Maya you can select a face and then SET a path so it ONLY picks faces along the path you nominate. My Maya is old and I dont have that function. I get around it by picking a face central to my work and expand that way, doesnt always work but better to select faces quickly and deselct a few that you dont want than doing it all by hand.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 8 08-05-2010 , 07:04 AM
Thank you very much.....:bow:

# 9 08-05-2010 , 07:40 AM
Lifetime Member
no probs mate,

check my post on deleting lamina faces as well, comes in handy.

cheers bulletuser added image

bullet1968

# 10 08-05-2010 , 08:15 AM

Originally posted by bullet1968
check my post on deleting lamina faces as well, comes in handy.

give me the link

# 11 08-05-2010 , 09:56 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968