View Poll Results: Do you get payed for your Maya work?
No, I'm just a hobbyist. 12 48.00%
Occationally. I'm a part time freelancer 6 24.00%
Yes, I work in the CG industry. 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-04-2010 , 11:14 AM

Do you get payed for your Maya work?

So do you get payed for your Maya work?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 29-04-2010 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
I would love too but still having no luck finding anyone to offer me any work.

# 3 29-04-2010 , 02:19 PM
Lifetime Member
bah Im not good enough and probably never will be......................still Im a Surveyor, I build roads/pipes/estates etc etc etc so I guess its still modelling, just in real things, not as much fun though.

yeh tweet I hear yah! be nice

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 29-04-2010 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bullet1968
yeh tweet I hear yah! be nice

Only took 5 years of uni and 3 years of looking so far - but who knows maybe one day

# 5 29-04-2010 , 03:08 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I've been paid in the past with some small freelance projects. But I'm not employed with any studio doing it (unfortunately).

But I keep working at it... then when I'm at a competitive level, I'll start working on a portfolio and see if I can squeeze my into the industry.

Tweety: You went to school for 5 years to learn CG?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 29-04-2010 , 03:13 PM
Lifetime Member
jeez tweety, I aint been to no skool. I learnt the hard way, through life but I reckon on a par with the guys that went to school, Im probably better in most ways because I learnt from the ground up, layed the pipes etc etc and dont rely on technology as much. Bloody hell mate 8 years all up!!!!! you should be making your own movies!!!!

All I can say is keep at it guys, I will never be that good and Im too old now, so I will be a Surveyor til Im dead.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 29-04-2010 , 03:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
i only recently started working in 3D.

I did a short course in VFX and got a job as a runner at a post house in london. did that for 6 months then moved into data wrangling for clash of the titans, worked there for 4 months then started in 3D. ...
from what i can tell, so far i've been pretty lucky and quick getting into the industry.

# 8 29-04-2010 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
Yer did a 2 year HND in multimedia then a BA in 3D Animation (3 years) - graduated in 2006 when I started work on a 3d film in Sept 2006 - but by the following April It went bust - With no ref it was impossible to find any other work.

I keep trying but now I think its never going to happen.

Too old for a runner or junior position and not enough experience to get an other CG job.

Sad I know but not a lot I can about it now

Last edited by tweetytunes; 29-04-2010 at 03:28 PM.
# 9 29-04-2010 , 03:29 PM
The Nurb Herd
work as a runner... its crap, but if you want to get your foot in the door its a good way to do it.
you may only be doing it for a couple of month. Its better handing a reel to someone in person that you know, rather than posting it to someone anonymous. There are people i know that were running fort about 3 weeks. They were just in the right place at the right time.

# 10 29-04-2010 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
Infact applied for Framestore yesterday as a runner - I would love to just get my little toe in the door let alone my foot.

I have applied many times before to a few different comps - never heard anything - not even a no, which is really getting on my nerves as I still don`t know what they did not like.

# 11 29-04-2010 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
I got super lucky and had the opportunity to dive in straight after Uni.

Though I think I would still be looking if they didn't happen to need a Crowd TD just when I had finished make a crowd based uni-project..

cheers,
Chris

# 12 29-04-2010 , 08:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Hammer is right, if you find it hard, get a reel done and apply as a runner. The work is pretty crap but you will get a foot in the door. I work at Cinesite in London atm and they run a schedule thing for the runners until they are 'broken in' then they get given a full time job.

cheers
Jay

# 13 29-04-2010 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
tweety, do you follow up on your applications? i hear that it helps if you call them up after a while (maybe a week, not too soon or you will sound desperate)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 29-04-2010 , 09:13 PM
My luck just turns on and i work for US animation company. I'm working from home but i have monthly animations so it's enough for my bills. I'm still 20 so i'm just learning myself . I'll need a solid portfolio to get into the game industry so i'll work on it while i'm studying programming languages in the Uni. user added image

# 15 29-04-2010 , 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Yeah Hammer is right, if you find it hard, get a reel done and apply as a runner. The work is pretty crap but you will get a foot in the door. I work at Cinesite in London atm and they run a schedule thing for the runners until they are 'broken in' then they get given a full time job.

cheers
Jay

Jay, we gotta meet some day. I just started at Cinesite last Monday. Came from Double Negative after three and a half years user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!