Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-11-2016 , 09:47 AM

Resizing/rescaling ncloth with character to fit scene

Hello,
I have a skinned and paint-weighted my character, and then I used ncloth for the character's outfit (independent of the skinned mesh). However, I did my character in a different file from the scene file and now I have imported it into the scene but, it's too big. The problem is, when I try to resize or reposition (to the point I wanna start animating the character) the character the ncloth stays in place. I have tried,
- mesh attract and painted off the areas I want to respond dynamically, but still didn't work
- constraining some ncloth points to the skinned mesh but, still didn't work
- skinned the outfit and copied skin weight before applying the ncloth and tried the 2 methods above, but still didn't work
- parent constrained the original ncloth to the skinned mesh. That seems to scale fine but, after I start playback, the ncloth begins to shrink and pull to a particular direction.

So, please does anyone know what kind of constraint I can use to make the ncloth follow the skinned mesh in terms of rotation, translation and scaling?
Thanks

PS: I have a well functional and resizeable rig.

# 2 09-11-2016 , 07:49 PM
I think I've found a temporary workaround to the issue...
I patented the outfit mesh under the body mesh before apply the ncloth and it moves and resizes just fine. What I did before was parent the outfit mesh under the body body mesh "after" applying the ncloth and that won't work for some reason.
However, the solution I got has a little problem, after shrinking the whole mesh in size, the cloth starts to fold weirdly in the point which the shirt and the pant meets... I still haven't found the solution to that... But I'm working on it but, if it's taking me too long to figure out I'd just import the scene file and enlarge it to accommodate the character size.
Thanks

# 3 10-11-2016 , 07:59 AM
I solved the problem by parenting the nucleus, the ncloth node and the nrigid node under the overall root transform control and it scales, rotates and translates fine and the cloth is also working correctly now.

# 4 11-02-2023 , 03:23 PM
Hello. Just wanted to drop in here to thank you for updating this with a solution. You saved me some time figuring it out. I was trying to use a scale constraint on the group that contain the nucleus, ncloth and nrigid, but it didn't affect them when scaling the control. Parenting them under the control worked much better.