Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-09-2007 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber

What got you into 3d?

I'm just curious as to why everyone is here. For me, it was two things. I graduated college with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and I became pretty good at SolidWorks (3D design application used mostly in engineering). I've used it nearly every day at work for the past two or so years. I've also been a HUGE fan of Star Wars since I was a little kid. So it would be nice to eventually transition into a company that provides animation, visual effects, etc.!

What about the rest of you?

-MiKE

# 2 29-09-2007 , 05:21 PM
Jr.Who

# 3 29-09-2007 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
Lol Jimmy neutron!

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 29-09-2007 , 11:36 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
ahhh this has been asked before but a new one is always welcome.

Okay, first and foremost Star Wars (the original) I was there man! And I am lucky enough to say my Dad worked on the first three at Elstrre Studios in Borehamwood where some of it was filmed. I was very taken with visual effects from an early age but alas we couldnt afford the film schools by the time I was old enough. But some twist of fate has directed me to 3d...so now maybe I can get in to film or games at last! even at my age!

Jay

# 5 30-09-2007 , 04:51 AM
I'll have to say I started 3D graphics becuase of computer games and movies. Do you ever say to yourself 'I can do better' when playing a game and coming across a not so well done model?

I also started becuase of two things: I was looking through magazines at the newsagents and I saw the december 2004 issue of computer arts that had free but not so good 3D software on the cover disc. It was cheap and I was bored so I bought it went home and made a really dodgy looking temple, which was an idea I had for a long time for some story that evolved from day dreaming in some boring class.

After a while of not doing anything but moving cubes around, I was on the net typing in random stuff and I came across Ray Caesar's work which is probaly some of the most wonderfully strange things I've ever seen. And then I found out that he used Maya. Since I've done all that could be done with the free software I got Maya and since then I've been slowly learning how to use it.

Hope I didn't bore everyone user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 30-09-2007 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
I sort of just wandered into it and got hooked.

A few years ago I started playing with Photoshop which led me into making silly little animations using Image Ready.

In one of my photoshop magazines I was following an illustration tutorial which used poser and was intrigued by the 3D-ness of it all and wondered about the posibilities of making 3d animations at home. Next stop Maya and a degree in computer animation, who knows what will happen next!

Later,

Mat.