Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-07-2003 , 10:02 PM

Particle Hiccup

Hey gang,

I'm trying to make this thruster FX using a particle emmitter set to emit cloud particles.

OK, so I'm happy with the look I'm getting, but when I render out a sequence, towards the very end the particle system hiccups. It's as if the engine backfired or somthing. Essentially all of the particles dissappear and the emitter starts over. It doesn't do this in Maya, only when rendered.

https://Watch the movie

I've looked all over and there are no keyframes that I can see would cause this. I have the max particles set to "-1" which should be infinite. I've tried setting it to 9999999, but that had no effect.

Anyone know what would cause this?

I've attached the file if you care to take a look.

Thanks,
-dann

Attached Files
File Type: zip thruster1.zip (30.1 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by Dann; 03-07-2003 at 10:05 PM.
# 2 03-07-2003 , 10:48 PM
Subscriber
could be an rendering problem. does it happen as well when you only render ot some frames that let the torch go out?

test rendering it out on my computer - lets see if the error is consistent user added image

i write what happened in few minutes

# 3 03-07-2003 , 11:01 PM
Possible answer, guess #1 for me:

Your QT movie lasts 4.29 seconds, but your Render globals are set up to render out 150 frames?

150 frames at 30 fps = 5 seconds even. (an extra 1/2 second)

My guess is that somehow, somewhere along the editing or rendering, or renaming line, QT, Maya, or you, made a boo-boo somewhere, and simply did either one of the following:

1. took the first 1/2 seconds of footage, and plopped them onto the back-end of the shot, thus making it appear to start over at the mid/end.

OR

2. You know, just a thought, it might possibly have also been old "test" footage that was rendered using the same naming convention in the render globals, then, after you "set initial state" for the particles, and RErendered the shot, you could have just grabbed the older 1/2 second of "old" footage and it was accidentally tacked-onto the butt-end of the movie?

...not sure on this one, as I would need to render the shot out to test my theory, but I'm at work, and cannot at the moment...

Sorry I'm not much help....

Does that spur any memories, and/or ideas at all for ya?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 03-07-2003 , 11:07 PM
Thanks for the thougths Rage, but I was having the problem and did a fresh render to a fresh location so I know it wasn't theory #2.

I'm not even sure what theory #1 means, but the render globals actually are set for frames 1-149. Why I set it like that I'm not sure and don't really care, but there were not 150 frames rendered.

Good try though. Sometimes it is just that simple, but this seems to be an mistake inside of Maya, not an error in making the movie.

Thanks again.

# 5 03-07-2003 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
i believe in #2 as well. here is a fresh render from my machine. only thing i changed is change to production quality and 300 frames. and then batch render with maya closed. no hiccup - only when the movie starts playing again - it almost cycles perfectly user added image

encoded with divx 5.0.5

Attached Files
File Type: zip thruster.zip (317.2 KB, 341 views)
# 6 03-07-2003 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
oh and by the way - thanks for the maya scene. now i have a nice looking exhaust w/o need to tweak it too much :p

# 7 04-07-2003 , 12:25 AM
OK I have no idea what happened, but after doing many tests I reverted to my original file and re-rendered yet again. All of a sudden it worked . I swaer I had rendered into brand new folders before when I got the hitch, but whatever.

I'm just happy it's working.

Use the file in good health Duck.

# 8 04-07-2003 , 01:24 AM
Glad we could be of help, and I'm glad it works for you now! user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com