Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-08-2003 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber

Mapping textures to objects?

How does one take a 3D model in Maya and make that cool exploded 2D rendering of it so that a texture map can be made? Then my followup question is how hard is it (once the texture map has been made) to put it all back together properly?

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 2 05-08-2003 , 07:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
You do not actually "explode" the model in order to UV map it. You use the UV Map tools to "project" the UV coordinates across a virtual 2D plane in the UV Texture Editor.

It's tedious with complex, organic objects, but there is no blowing up or putting back together objects.

# 3 05-08-2003 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm, I thought I saw somewhere (may not have been on simplymaya - or even Maya product for that matter), someone having a layout of a model on a 2D plane of some sort and I thought that the application did that for them. They were then able to attach materials or decals to the model easily. Wasn't even sure if Maya was the product.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
# 4 06-08-2003 , 03:41 AM
Maybe what you saw is automatic warp in Maya

You will have some sort of flatten model in UV space for your model, then you can do move and sew thing to make a better uv map.

As soon as you got your uv layout properly you can do decal texture based on this information.

user added image

# 5 06-08-2003 , 04:28 AM
There's a great UV mapping tutorial by Craig Daughtry in the VIP section of this site. I highly recommend it.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 06-08-2003 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
OK, I'll take a look at the tutorial. Thanks!