Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-08-2003 , 01:04 AM

Slide along edge

How can I slide a vertex along an edge?

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 2 25-08-2003 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
If it's an edge not connected to the vertice, I believe there is a snap button you can press. It's easier to hold down the hot keys though. Is snap to curves/edges the c key?

If it's an edge connected to the vertice your trying to move, it cannot be done since the vertices determines the length and position of the edge itself.

# 3 25-08-2003 , 01:33 AM
hmmmmmm..........In wings3d I can slide a vertex along an edge using a free plugin. Ill look into it for maya.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 4 25-08-2003 , 01:53 AM
The Maya Mountain
Edges can be curve snapped to, just as Darkware mentioned.

# 5 25-08-2003 , 04:28 AM

bring vertex close, then hotkey c

yes, edges can be curve snapped to, and the hotkey is c. But you must first bring the vertex close to the edge you want to snap to, otherwise it will not "snap".

A conscious power has drawn the plan of life...
# 6 25-08-2003 , 12:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
Actually, that's not the case. Curve snap works a little differently than most other snapping functions. Select the vertex, hold C, and MIDDLE mouse click and drag ON the curve/edge.