Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 10-02-2012 , 11:41 PM
19 year Veteran

Of course it does The way he's doing it, it doesn't even use an ambient pass. Hence it's not "Ambient Occlusion"

Ambient Pass? You gotta be Joking right?

Anyway, in Maya 2010, 2011 and 2012, all you have to do is right click your layer and go to your attributes /presets and select occlusion. It gives you pretty decent fake occlusion without having to use your layers blend mode. You still cant control any attributes like you can for real AO, but it still looks pretty decent.

EDIT: Just found out that this method is actually connected to the mib_Ambient_Occlusion shader. So you can control the attributes.

Last edited by THX1138; 11-02-2012 at 12:05 AM.
# 47 05-03-2012 , 06:12 PM

HUGE thank you.

Had to say thanks for the code here. We had a cursed scene that was taking up to 1 minute per frame to batch render. This code saved the life of a computer that was getting ready to leap out a window (or maybe be pushed). user added image

SueJ
# 48 06-03-2012 , 04:42 AM
Technical Director

Had to say thanks for the code here. We had a cursed scene that was taking up to 1 minute per frame to batch render. This code saved the life of a computer that was getting ready to leap out a window (or maybe be pushed). user added image

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to register and letting me know. I'm glad it helped!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 49 29-03-2012 , 07:30 AM
Awesome script! This really helped me out so I had to register to give my thanks.

I had spent the best part of a day setting up and scripting an expression powered animation (colour changing blocks in time with soundkeys data) only to find that although the animation was happening in the view port and render window, it was not animating in the batch render (using V-Ray).

Your script saved the day!

Many, many thanks. user added image

# 50 30-03-2012 , 06:51 PM
Technical Director

Awesome script! This really helped me out so I had to register to give my thanks... it was not animating in the batch render (using V-Ray).

Awesome! It worked with V-Ray? Good to know, thanks mate!

# 51 19-04-2012 , 05:48 PM

loading mental ray rendering presets

hello! nice script! specially it was nice because I didn't think of the try:catch in my python script that does a render and a save too.

Now my only problem lies in saving user defined render settings, change my quality presets to draft or production, and load the user defined settings again. Saving and loading is easy, I use cmds.nodePreset(save=["defaultRenderGlobals", "UserDefined"]), but for setting my own render settings (i just need standard or draft) i dont know really how to do it, since the "load draft" presets folder is hardcoded. My only solution is to go to each computer and save a presets file... I would rather find a more elegant solution.

Do you have any idea? thanks

Kevin

# 52 19-04-2012 , 06:03 PM
Technical Director
Hi Kevin, I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll take a look into it for you. It's probably better if we talk via PM, as your question isn't really about this specific script.

On a side note, I'm thinking of making this script even more integrated into Maya, so you won't have to edit the script every time you want to run it.

# 53 23-06-2012 , 03:35 AM

File types...

I had this happen to me, and noticed that the render changed depending on the file type chosen. I chose .png and the scene rendered out completely differently than how it looked in the individual render. When I chose uncompressed .tif it looked closer to the individual render, but still wasn't quite right. I wonder if it's something to do with file type?

Last edited by toRigOrNotToRig; 23-06-2012 at 04:20 AM.
# 54 23-06-2012 , 05:59 AM
Technical Director

I had this happen to me, and noticed that the render changed depending on the file type chosen. I chose .png and the scene rendered out completely differently than how it looked in the individual render. When I chose uncompressed .tif it looked closer to the individual render, but still wasn't quite right. I wonder if it's something to do with file type?

Which renderer are you using?

# 55 11-08-2012 , 10:08 AM

Objects not in batch render

I'm having an issue with objects not appearing in my batch render. When I render a single scene all is well.
I am sending the project to a render farm will the script still work?

Thanks

# 56 12-08-2012 , 01:16 AM
Technical Director

I'm having an issue with objects not appearing in my batch render. When I render a single scene all is well.
I am sending the project to a render farm will the script still work?

Thanks

Sadly, no. You'll need to troubleshoot your scene manually I'm afraid.

Best of luck.

# 57 19-09-2012 , 03:27 AM

Nuke and exr

Thanks so much for this... it's got me so close to solving my render problem user added image

I don't know a lot about scripts so I was wondering if this can be used to render out to .exr format so I can composite in Nuke? I keep getting IMG formats and Nuke can't recognise.

So grateful for your help!

# 58 21-09-2012 , 11:33 AM
Technical Director

Thanks so much for this... it's got me so close to solving my render problem user added image

I don't know a lot about scripts so I was wondering if this can be used to render out to .exr format so I can composite in Nuke? I keep getting IMG formats and Nuke can't recognise.

So grateful for your help!

Hi Jingo, it can with a little modification; I'll take a quick look tonight and see if I can get a copy up. Nuke should be able to read most formats, including PNG. Try dragging & dropping a frame into the comp tree, and see if it loads.

# 59 25-09-2012 , 03:09 PM
Mr. NextDesign: THANKS!
I was unable to use the batch render as it wasn't reading correclty my fluid. Just solved the big problem with this script!
MANY MANY THANKS!
(I'm using maya 2013)

# 60 26-09-2012 , 08:01 PM
Hi everyone, first post! Sorry to resurrect the thread, but it seems the best place to put it.

So I've also been having the issue of having strange glitches appear in batch render, that do not appear when rendering a single frame in render view. I tried NextDesigns script, exactly what I was looking for, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I changed start frame to 1, and end frame to 200. Made sure render view had the right camera, then pasted and executed the script- it starts to render but when I check the folder the image is "render0008.tif" - but checking the image shows it's actually frame 1. Then, it proceeds to render the next frame, but it over writes "render0008.tif"! I've no idea where it's got this phantom "8" from.

I only changed the start and end frame variables in the script, so don't understand why this is happening. I'm using Maya 2011 with Vue 10 (although I don't think that should affect it?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've absolutely no idea why I get glitches in batch render, and rendering frame by frame with a script like this looks like my only option.

Thanks.
Matt