Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-06-2003 , 01:59 AM

Acting & Animating

I was just wondering if taking acting lession would help someones animation work. I not saying i'm gonna, but when i go to Uni i may consider it. I'm sure it would help.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 2 29-06-2003 , 03:04 AM
I've have seen a few animations programs with an "Acting for Animators" class. I think it would help you with animating the little nuances of humans, and many other things.

Go for it!

________

- Jacob
# 3 29-06-2003 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber
Mmm. Possibly. I myself wouldn't recommend it, but you may find something new inside yourself that relates to animating. Who knows.....

Rather than pay money for something I could probably do alone by myself, I would observe people. In Maya, you are not the character you create. You view everything in am omni-third person way. Grab an icecream if your not lactose intollerant, sit down on a bench at a mall, and watch people in stores and as they walk by. Sounds almost creepy I know, but you can learn so much by simply observing how the human body and mind works.

# 4 29-06-2003 , 03:08 AM
Dude just get a video camera and acted it out your self you donr need to take classes, even if you cant act the video will help out in timing and poses...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 29-06-2003 , 04:17 AM
I took an Acting for Animators workshop from Ed Hooks a couple of years ago, and it was a great experience. Not only was it a fun workshop, but I learned a great deal about human behavior as it pertains to acting and how to define the nuances of a character's personality and motivation through acting. Yes, observing people on your own and video taping things are good things to do, but that is only one small part of being a character animator. A lot of the time, you end up only observing the outward behavior of people without truly understanding why things happen. An acting class can help you understand the "why". By working with an acting coach, you can gain a deeper understanding of how the great actors do their thing. You can learn about how motivation and inner thought can manifest themselves in physical action.

If you are really into character animation, then I would highly recommend taking an acting class at least once or twice. It can add so much to your work in terms of really understanding how to give life to your character. If you don't want to take a class, read some books on acting. There's a pretty good book out there called "Acting for Animators" by Ed Hooks. It's a small acting book that is geared specifically towards animators (hence, the title). Good information, relatively cheap (something like $30).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 29-06-2003 , 07:46 PM
Danny, your the man!

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 30-06-2003 , 05:16 AM
Subscriber
yep, danny is an animation king.. just look at his avatar!

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 8 30-06-2003 , 06:36 AM
You guys think too highly of me. I'm really just a hack that tricked my university into hiring me to teach their animation classes. :p

For the record, my avatar is straight out of Richard Williams' "Animator's Survival Kit", nothing special. I did that quickie walk cycle as a demonstration for my animation class. Took me longer to scan and upload it than it did to animate. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 9 30-06-2003 , 05:57 PM
Acting is one of the most vital key points in having a good animation. You can have crappy effects but if you have the ability realy make that character or characters come to like it will make all the difference. Another thing to consider is 2d art, it realy helps you visualize things. I'm pretty sure you already knew that but just in case.