Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-03-2005 , 01:25 AM

Texturing a plane: How to maintain image ratio?

(sorry i posted this by mistake in the modelling section before - apologies for the double posting...)

Hi everyone,

anyone know how to maintain a texture's (2d file image) ratio?

1. With a poly plane,
Texture>Planar Mapping>Keep Image Ratio - just doesn’t do it. It keeps assuming the aspect ratio of my poly plane (and filling up the entire plane).

2. With a Nurbs plane,
How do you fit the texture map onto the plane with correct Length-width ratio? (My map is very big). I tried mapping the Coverage attribute of the 2dTexturePlacement node to the file image. I can then see the proportion (ratio) and size of the map but how do you scale it down? The image is so big I can’t even grab the ends to scale! I just need it to fit on the plane with the correct ratio). Is the only way to do it to reduce the size of the texture? - in which case you lose resolution...

any help appreciated!

thanks
Lori

# 2 01-03-2005 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber

Re: Texturing a plane: How to maintain image ratio?

Originally posted by lori_hunter

anyone know how to maintain a texture's (2d file image) ratio?

1. With a poly plane,
Texture>Planar Mapping>Keep Image Ratio - just doesn’t do it. It keeps assuming the aspect ratio of my poly plane (and filling up the entire plane).

I haven't been able to find away to this either, so I just UV Map the plane and make sure the texture falls within the UVs. You can adjust the surface area a texture covers in the attribute editor, under the input node for the shader should be a placement node. The default cover is 1:1, so any texture tries to cover the entire surface. You can manually adjust the amount. up or down.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."