Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 28-10-2006 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
Hey Arran, thx for the comments, I am glad you liked the hands, I am actually quite proud of how they turned out user added image

here is a picture with multiple angles. The back looks almost too bent, but that is how one of the references i am using is (the muscular one). The other reference is much more straighter (the normal, whimpier one)...As it is right now it almost doesnt look natural so I will probably fine tune the back and its arch. Anyways, C&C welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 28-10-2006 , 08:54 PM

agreed with the back thing

maybe the reference guy is pushing the scapulars out or something cause igor would be proud of such a hump could be agle but yeh ... its looking very nice thoughuser added image

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 48 28-10-2006 , 09:06 PM

sorry a bit rude of me

should have done a catch up read of the thread, i just opened to the last page, oops ... yeh the belly button thing looks right, but still wrong ... i stared for a bit , Im not sure ... maybe its just a bit short in the torso in general, but if as you say your working from ref' then it might just be a part of natural variation (it was always hard in life drawing when you get a model with some anomalous body form to get the drawing to look right):bow:

# 49 29-10-2006 , 12:25 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The tops of the legs are the thing thats bugging me, they end right in his hip. It needs to be lower, I have some reference of Arnie that I will post later

Hasta la vista..baby...

Jay

# 50 29-10-2006 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
Thx Jay, well, i took my pants off and the legs seem to go pretty high up there hehe, jk...please post that reference and lets see whats up.

Bruce, I will adjust that back a little bit to take away some of the hump. Make it straighter. these bodybuilders have proportions that makes them look like aliens in some cases. I have placed two separate references one on top of the other (one of a body builder and the other one of a regular guy) and the differences are amazing...

thx all for the comments.

# 51 29-10-2006 , 01:54 AM
hey minstrel - any chance you can post the references that you are working from? It almost sounds like the body builders in your references might be flexing rather than in a relaxed state. Just a thought...

# 52 29-10-2006 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
Hi Arran, yes, i'll do it tonight.

# 53 29-10-2006 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
here are the reference pics

Attached Images

Last edited by Minstrel; 29-10-2006 at 09:51 AM.
# 54 29-10-2006 , 09:53 AM
Subscriber
And Jay, you were absolutely right...Those thighs connecting to the hip area did look odd.

In this new version i tweaked the legs significantly, the torso, made the forearm shorter and the hands just a bit smaller. The back is still pending.

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 29-10-2006 , 11:59 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Minstrel,

Looking better.

Sorry didnt post last night had internet trouble, ISP trouble, no connection...

Cheers
Jay

# 56 29-10-2006 , 01:09 PM

I think i got the hump

posibly just need to show the two seperate bumps one for the rib cage and the other top one the scapular that will show the rib cage aS GOING UNDER THE OTHER MASS( HM CAPITALS) SPOT ON JAY THE THIGHS IT LOOKS GREAT NOW MINSTREL:attn:

# 57 31-10-2006 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber
I decided to go in a new direction. My guys was looking a bit too thin, ripped, but too thin. So I looked up some othe reference material from Arnold and this is what I got. I pretty much changed everything except for the hands, head and feet.

Attached Images
# 58 31-10-2006 , 11:21 PM
nice work Minstrel ru gonna put this into zbrush to add extra details or just straight modelling in maya?

# 59 01-11-2006 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
I dont have zbrush, so maya will have to do. I will eventually apply some bump maps or displacement maps to these guys, but not from zbrush.

# 60 01-11-2006 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
Just an update

Attached Thumbnails