Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 09-12-2003 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
10 houres render time ??? dude tell use about all you have in that sean. If it takes 10 houres with just 3000 rays, somethings wrong.

BTW it looks great.. but I would like to see the retern of that painting on the wall..

# 17 09-12-2003 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber
lol, basically every texture is at least 1MB, and the wall texture is like 16 MB, that could be part of the problem. My min and max samples is -2 and 2, jitter, with gauss filter. My FG radius on that render I think was .25-10. Next time I'm cranking it all the way down. Also, I'll put that picture back on the wall too. Anyways.. back to modeling!
-flipfl0p :bgreen:

# 18 09-12-2003 , 06:27 PM

basically every texture is at least 1MB

that's not really that big to be honest with you... user added image in fact that's pretty darn tiny. What res is that? for some of the productino stuff we have been doing I've seen 500mb textures believe it or not user added image

Even 16Mbs is fairly acceptable. and what I would say about that is how comes it's 16 mbs? it's repeated a few times over the wall right? you dont need to do that (as it's fairly obvious that it repeats). I would make the texture repeat in Photoshop and then edit it using clone and offset to reduce the obviousness of the repetition.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 19 09-12-2003 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
I'm thinking the 16mb would be for the pavement or the painting on the wall.. But at anyrait like Pure said. though sizes shouldn't be a problem. what is your ram like ? Yeah I would start with the defalt lower numbers on your render and gradualy take them up.
On your output window.. what dose your triangle count say ?
Was also wandering your not using a bump map as a displacment are ya ??

# 20 09-12-2003 , 09:03 PM
Your latest image seems, to me, to be capturing your true intent- it looks really cool!!! My only real concern is that the dumpster is too small, and square with the wall. Maybe add an angle to the placement, conveying a sloppy placement by a truck that empties it, and a few skids around it on the ground to show it is lifted up and down, I am a noob, so these are just asthetic comments.
Probably if you just group the dumpster and surroundnig debi, and scale it up it will help.
I agree the light needs blurring and translucence.

This image TOTALLY inspires me to attempt my first scene - thanks for the inspiration.

# 21 09-12-2003 , 09:08 PM
That stuffs Great good job dude, you said you were n00b?????

# 22 10-12-2003 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
Thank you guys so much for your feedbackYes, I agree about the dumpster, right now I have maya opened up, I'm making a new dumpster, trying not to be disgusted with my scene. I read your comments, it's hard to believe, but... thank you for the positive feedback seriously, I'm inspired as well!
-flipfl0p

Last edited by flipfl0p; 10-12-2003 at 11:35 PM.
# 23 10-12-2003 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber
okay here is my new dumpster prototype, one thing I'm noticing is that since it's so big, you can't see down the rest of the alley. Anyways... I made a new texture for it, probably gonna do some more work on it. here it is...

Attached Images
# 24 11-12-2003 , 02:29 AM
Hey, have a look at my thread (https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&pagenumber=2, the last non-wire pic at the bottom) and see if it is to your liking... I *think* I am going for the same feel as you, and the method I'm using renders uber-fast. AIM me at Ragtimer38 if you're interested... it seems a fast rendering method would be usefull to you user added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 25 11-12-2003 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
This is really getting better. Your rendertimes seem extreme for this sort of pic. When doing final render, crank up the params, but for WiP's just go for as low as possible (100 rays or something).

Some suggestions: Some sort of grafitti or something in the midpart of the image, since now the composition frames (with the dumpster, door and cable) what is essentially a white brick wall. You could also try adding dirt smears around where it would be likely to have accumulated. That is, near ground level, around the stairs, around and below the lights, electrical thingy. If you do it as Pure suggested you'd be able to do them in photoshop if not you can layer them on. Overall, try to break up the repetitiveness off the wall texture.

Keep it up and it will look awesome. :thumbsup:

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 26 11-12-2003 , 05:00 AM
omg I just realized I forgot to say awsome job mate! srry, I sometimes criticize while leaving out the good parts user added image...

# 27 11-12-2003 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber
Okay here is where Im at. Since fall is my favorite season, I made some leaves and scattered them against everything. Re-did the wall and side wall texture, along with tweaking some metal textures, transparencies, etc... I have placed a piece of WW2 propaganda once again to the far left, and have added a lot of stains and smears like you guys suggested, I really like it so far. Heres the small pic, will render a larger one over night! Thanks for the comments!
-flipfl0p

Attached Images
# 28 11-12-2003 , 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, it is rocking! I would watch the dispersement of light on the door, it seems too bright there to not have light splashing down the alley, or gleaning off the edge of the dumpster. I have started my scene!!!!!!! months.. lol

# 29 11-12-2003 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
flipfl0p: that is looking so good compared to the first render you started this thread with. The leaves are a great touch.

Can I suggest that, at the point where the wall meets the ground (i.e. under the leaves), you put maybe a damp spot ... as if it rained a couple of days ago.

Idea for a neat short anim: make a night scene with some orange "sodium" light coming down the alley way - no need to show the source and then flicker the lightbulb above the door. I could really dig that atmosphere!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 30 11-12-2003 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
damn you guys got good ideas. Yeah I am going to put a dirty damp spot towards the bottom, anyways, here is where I'm at, it's just a larger version of the previous pic.

Attached Thumbnails