Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-11-2012 , 07:34 PM

Bevelled edges are giving me the business

I've been using Maya for a little while now, enough to know some of the basics. I've run into a problem that seems like it should be simple to fix but for the life of me I can't figure out what's going on. Attached is a render of what's been happening.

I made the object out of a cube that has been extruded a number of times. After that I applied a bevel to the outside faces of the object. As you can see there is a polygon edge clearly visible where two of the corners come together. I'd like the whole thing to appear flat with no joints.

I have a glass material applied here (which is what I want to use for the final product) which makes the problem visible. With a blinn material it doesn't show up. Any ideas what I'm missing here?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-11-2012 , 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Could you at least circle the problem area, the image is confusing.

- Genny
# 3 13-11-2012 , 10:40 PM
I agree with gect in fact it might be easier to see the beveling issue if you applied a lambert to the object. The final shader is irrelevant as far as sorting out of there is a problem with the bevel.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 13-11-2012 , 11:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Use the standard lambert as the material and switch on wireframe to give us a better idea of whats going on, as well as some circling of the area.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 13-11-2012 , 11:48 PM
Sorry, I see now where what I posted could be confusing. I've been looking at it for three days so I guess I'm taking certain clarity issues for granted.

The problem is that the issue only occurs when I use the glass material, with everything else it looks fine. I've included a couple more renders to make things less confusing. One is the original render with the problems pointed out in yellow, the other is the model rendered in Lambert to show what it's supposed to look like. (The letters are a separate piece from the framing element) The last one is a wireframe version of roughly the same area of the first render to give you an idea of the geometry that's there.

Sorry about the confusion.

Attached Thumbnails