Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 151 08-01-2007 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
hi Jay, yes i knew about that issue with FG you quoted already. its really not that hard, but it takes lots of fine tunning to get the right look. As you can see from the pics I have posted you can have too much SSS, or too little. Placement of lights play a huge role in bringing out the SSS. If using an HDR image you'll have to rotate it and possible add lights to make sure you get some SSS, or else you run the risk of there not being enough back lights to accentuate the SSS. And it all has to balance out.

I am so envious of your talent to produce those texture. oh well. The textures you use on your skin are freaking amazing.

Using SSS with FG/HDR is particularly tricky because MISSS does not have a way (that i know) of controling the color bleed you get from the HDR image. Other Maya shaders can be controlled using the incandescence color under the mental ray tab in the shader node. So what you may end up doing is modifying the colors of your HDR texture to get the results (color bleed) you are looking for. It really is a pain to control it all and find the balance which is why i think a lot of people stay away from it.

I will play a ltl more with the SSS shader on this guy, but im getting burnt out on him. Its defintely a learning experience from a modeling and a shader point of view. Next character should be easier user added image

Cheers.

# 152 08-01-2007 , 01:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Minstrel

Thanks for the kind words. I'll probably tweak some more then put that up on my website.

Anyway back to YOUR thread....

Cheers
Jay

# 153 09-01-2007 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
Reading some more I came to the "real" understanding that using FG/HDR is for indirect lighting, not to serve as a substitute for direct lighting, and there is a difference. So, I lowered the intensity of the HDR texture back to 1 and added 3 lights. 1 directional on the back, 1 directional for the shadow, and one area light on the opposite side. I think its looking better. Any comments?

Attached Thumbnails
# 154 09-01-2007 , 03:04 PM
Great job onthe texturing and lighting.

If i'm using HDR I generally only use it to get nice refelctions, althought I do rely on it too much...

Are you goning to make a nice roman type of environment?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 155 09-01-2007 , 05:02 PM
Minstrel

Its definately better, though I think you could turn down the weight on the back scatter perhaps, as its a little waxy still on the face, it just needs to be a a bit harder looking if you know what I mean

I think adding normal lights is always better anyway, it adds more contrast. Far too many people rely on FG or HDRI alone, causing images to look like a cloudy day

Cheers
Jay

# 156 09-01-2007 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
Jay, i agree with you user added image hehe, I dropped the radious and the weight slightly and got this. Definitely more definition on the face without impacting too much the body.

Attached Thumbnails
# 157 05-04-2007 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
Wow its been a long time since i posted anything in here. Here is an update on this guy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 158 06-04-2007 , 03:00 AM
Much nicer Minstrel!

The fuzziness of the MISS shader has gone, the character looks sharper too. Pose him up and get him in an environment.

Best
Jay

# 159 07-04-2007 , 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Much nicer Minstrel!

The fuzziness of the MISS shader has gone, the character looks sharper too. Pose him up and get him in an environment.

Best
Jay

Amen to that!! Dang, why haven't I seen this guy before? He's so cool! I like it a lot! I like that last pic, but I like the skin tone on the previous renders. Try giving him a little deeper of a tone.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 160 19-06-2007 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
He guys, its been a while. I am working on rigging this guy, and some other animation stuff, but in the meantime i played some more with the render. I'll post something whenever i get done posing him.

Attached Thumbnails
# 161 19-06-2007 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
Excellent work Minstrel. Wouldn't it be cool to give him an indication of hair? You probably want to keep him bald, right, but I am thinking hair stubs. Indication of hair pores, you know, like the shaolin monks rather than the polished bald head of say Kojak. Does that make any sense? =)
I think it would make him look well hard, although the shaved head works well with the big brute image as well.

He does have a heroic look to him, maybe it's his steadfast, determined gaze into eternity so maybe you're taking him in a completely different direction?

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 19-06-2007 at 04:47 PM.
# 162 19-06-2007 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
thx for the comments alpha...but arent the eyebrows enough indication of hair? hehe. The truth is hair is a pain to do, if nothing else for the rendering times required. I could paint something to give indication of hair/pores or something, I dont want to dirty him up too much though. Also, a lot of the skin detail is lost because the camera is not close enough, so I didnt want to spend too much time on that. Perhaps adding different tones in areas where there would be more hair...i'll see.

# 163 20-06-2007 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
Rig it then animate it.

looks good.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 164 20-06-2007 , 11:05 AM
he's looking better and better every time!! Sweet work my friend! KUTGW

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 165 23-06-2007 , 04:33 AM
A gental warrior. Its quite inspirational. Seems original as well. I think his lioncloth could look more tatered though. Best to ya.