Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 15-04-2003 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber

Could you check this for me?

I would appreciate your views and opinions on this possible setup. Will all these parts work ok together? Theres still time to change a few of the components, so if you think any part needs improving, then please do say user added image I’m hopefully gunna have some round IDE cables as well. I’m going to be using the computer for Maya, Combustion and Photoshop (and some games as well) as some of you already know.

(Processor) AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton (without heatsink and cpu fan)
(Motherboard) Asus A7N8X deluxe
(Sound card) Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum eX
(6.1 Speakers) Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 Surround
(Graphics card) nVidia QuadroFX 1000
(RAM) Crucial PC2700 1.5GB DDR (3 x 512mb modules)
(Monitor) Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 19"
(Case) Lian-li PC 65B
(PSU) Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (ATX12V)
(CPU Heatsink) Thermalright SLK-800
(CPU Fan) Coolermaster 80mm Blue LED Clear fan (CPU)
(Case fans) 4 x Coolermaster 80mm Blue LED Clear fan (2 exhaust, 2 intake)
(Floppy drive) 1.44MB 3.5" FDD TEAC Black finish
(Hard drive) Western Digital Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition, 8mb cache, 7,200rpm IDE
(CDRW) Plextor 48x24x48 IDE burn proof (Black finish)
(DVD drive) Lite-on 16x Black DVD Drive IDE
(Mouse) Logitech MX700 mouse
(Keyboard) Logitech cordless desktop optical keyboard + mouse
(Thermal Comp)Arctic silver 3 thermal compound (3 grams)

Just a few things I’d like to know:
1. Is the PSU going to provide enough power to this computer?
2. Will all these parts fit inside the lian-li case easily? Is there going to be enough room?
3. Will the fans provide a good enough airflow?
4. Will the ram work with the motherboard?
5. Is the graphics card going to work ok with the mboard? I think it will, but just need some verification
6. Will the SLK800 fit over the barton processor ok?
7. Is the coolermaster fan ok (size wise) for the heatsink?
8. Would the noise levels (of fans, HD, GPU etc) be ok? Cos I don’t want this getting too loud
9. Is there anything else I need in this setup that ive missed out? Anything at all

Thanks for your help, I promise I won’t bug you about any hardware stuff again once I get this computer sorted user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 15-04-2003 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber
1. Yes that should be plenty of power
2. Not totaly sure on this, I will check it out and post later
3.Yes, set the front 2 for sucking air in and the back 3 for blowing air out
4.Yes the memory will work correctly
5. Yes no matter what it should work. Because of the fact that agp speeds will downgrade if necessary. However if it is a pro slot and you don't have one, it will not work.
6. As long as it says Socket A it should
7. Yes as long as the heatsink says 80 mm fan
8. i have 4 fans and it is mildly loud. Not anoying loud
9. Nope not that I can see
----
Notes:
Great setup! The Li Lian should help with heat disipation along with the fans. It should also be fairly light. Hope this helps.

# 3 15-04-2003 , 08:02 PM
Hello, Nem

I can´t help you with the technical details (jklaroe seems to have better knowledge on that area than I do) however, I would like to know if the budget is disclosable.

I need a new computer too and I would love to know if this setup -minus monitor and surrounds- would be in my possibilities.

Thanks,

# 4 15-04-2003 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
oh well its quite a bit, this setup minus the monitor and speakers is £1969.29 but that includes a processor upgrade to barton 3000 user added image

- Simon

# 5 15-04-2003 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
oh, and how loud is 45dbA? is that loud for a computer under the desk?

- Simon

# 6 15-04-2003 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
Sounds

Airplane cabin during flight
  • 70 dBA
Elevator music
  • 40 dBA
Kryotech SuperG
  • 39 dBA
Whispering
  • 20 dBA
Human breathing
  • 10 dBA
Hope this helps user added image

Last edited by jklaroe; 15-04-2003 at 11:10 PM.
# 7 15-04-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
to be honest with you, ive never actually been in an elevator with music before :S sorry

- Simon

# 8 15-04-2003 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
Playing It Loud Isn't Playing It Smart
In today's advertising-driven age, we are often seduced into believing that "bigger is better", "more is merrier" and "loud is cool". "The louder the better" message allures the public into equating noise with power and carries a dangerous risk. Noise is one of the leading causes of hearing loss in the 28 million people with impaired hearing in the United States. Studies also indicate that noise negatively impacts the health and quality of life of millions of Americans. Recent health statistics suggest that the incidence of noise-induced hearing loss is occurring at younger and younger ages. In a recent study by the League for the Hard of Hearing (1998), 46% of third-graders reported that their ears ring sometimes (a warning sign of a potential noise-induced hearing loss). Recreational activities contribute to the cumulative effects of excessive noise exposure.

How Loud is Too Loud?
To know if a sound is loud enough to cause damage to your ears, it is important to know both the level of intensity (measured in decibels, dBA) and the length of exposure to the sound. In general, the louder the sound, the less time required before hearing will be affected. Experts agree that continued exposure to noise above 85 dBA will eventually harm your hearing. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends that hearing protection be worn in the workplace when loudness levels and exposure time exceed the allowable standards. For example, 15 minutes exposure at 115 dBA is considered dangerous to hearing and even an exposure of less than 2 minutes at 130 dBA may be hazardous to hearing. While regulations exist to protect a person's hearing in the workplace, similar regulations do not exist to protect the public's hearing in recreational activities. Further, the noise emitted from many recreational activities, at levels well below 85 dBA, has been found to negatively impact the health and quality of life of neighboring community members.

Some Examples of Dangerously Loud Recreational Activities

Noise levels at video arcades can be as high as 110 dBA.

Firecrackers create sound levels from 125 - 155 dBA at an average distance of 10 feet.

Sound levels at live music concerts can be measured at 120 dBA and beyond.

The noise level of gunshots can be measured at 150 dBA -167 dBA and hearing loss can result from just a few shots of a high powered gun, if appropriate hearing protection is not worn.

Noise levels at movie theaters have been measured up to 118 dBA.

Sound levels in health clubs and aerobic studios can be as high as 120 dBA.

Personal stereo systems with headphones produce sounds as loud as 105 - 120 dBA if turned up to maximum levels.

Sound levels at a sporting event can be measured up to 127 dBA.

Motorboats emit sound levels ranging from 85 - 115 dBA.

Motorcycles have been measured at levels ranging from 95 - 120 dBA.

Noise levels of snowmobiles are as high as 99 dBA.

Many children's toys emit sounds which are measured at 135 dBA -150 dBA.

Noise levels from "Boom Cars" have been measured at 140dBA and beyond.

Steps to Protect Hearing & Preserve the Peace & Quiet
Recognize that loud recreational activities not only pose a risk to hearing, but also can impact on your neighbor's right to peace and quiet. Whenever possible, turn down the volume or ask the offender to do so. Limit exposure time to noisy activities and wear adequate hearing protection even if you think you are having fun. A rule of thumb: If you have to shout in order to be heard three feet away, then the noise is probably too loud and could be damaging to your hearing. In these instances, use hearing protection.

# 9 18-04-2003 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
thanks for that user added image i think these 5 fans will be ok

- Simon

# 10 19-04-2003 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
hmm.. dude. . make sure when you are getting an A7N8X, get an "A7N8X" deluxe... apart from that.. excellent setup!!!!

btw, i use a total of 7 fans, 4 for out, 3 for in, and btw,, excellent choice for a mobo!!

you a lottery or what????!!!

.:EDIT:.

did not see that you were getting a deluxe,, anyway

Last edited by tariqrf; 19-04-2003 at 12:51 AM.
# 11 19-04-2003 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
how loud are your fans tariqrf? is it bearable? any chance i can hear a recording? user added image

and no, im not even paying for this thing lol user added image its a present, kinda

- Simon

# 12 19-04-2003 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber
its not that loud,, btw, my PC cover has a "noise reduction covering" or a layer of sponge sorta thing, so i hardly hear anything

# 13 19-04-2003 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Nem

and no, im not even paying for this thing lol user added image its a present, kinda

yep, i know, same thing here, DAD!!

# 14 28-04-2003 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber
Hey, if you are going to get the "A7N8X" deluxe, you can also consider saving the money on the soundblaster. Some say that the soundstorm on the "A7N8X" is not as good as the Audigy2, but others swear by Soundstorm for its 6 chanel setup. Either way it is free with the Asus A7N8X deluxe. and the extra cash can go into memory. It only a sugestion as you may be sold on the Audigy2, which is pretty good.
Ive been wanting to upgrade my Epox 8KTA3 (KT133A) and sound blaster live with the A7n8x deluxe. I'm just waiting for the dinero.

here is what AMDmb.com says at:
www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=221

The Deluxe model takes advantage of much of the MCP2 chipset to bring a list of features to the A7N8X that should satisfy all. First, the A7N8X Deluxe uses the integrated APU of the nForce2 chipset for the SoundStorm Dolby-Digital audio setup. It supports 6-channel audio and is the only 5.1 Dolby Digital Decoder on a sound chipset available today

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 15 29-04-2003 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
oh yeah the soundstorm is very nice, but i like the audigy2 for the free games and the breakout box user added image heh

oh and ive made a few adjustments to the setup for those interested

before:
Athlon XP2800
Crucial 1.5GB DDR2700
western digital 120gb IDE

now:
athlonXP3000
Corsair 1.5gb DDR2700 XMS (is XMS ok to run in workstations? kinda worried about stability)
Maxtor 120gb SATA

and do u no if plextor make black DVDRW?

- Simon